Navi light on stern

Dleopoldi914

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was on my way out in my classic Montauk when I noticed my rear Navi light was not working. At first I thought it was a bulb and I had a spare bulb from the last owner. I tried to wiggle the bulb lose to change it and the bulb broke. I then tried pulling with pliers and nada. My front navigation light works. At the deck I noticed the bottom of the light was unplugged. I tried to plug back in figuring that that is the reason because no juice to the light. Now I can’t remove the bulb and and the bottom cannot plug in. How should I fix.

Attachments

• photo303475.jpg
    photo303475.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo303476.jpg
    photo303476.jpg
  • photo303477.jpg
    photo303477.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303478.jpg
    photo303478.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo303479.jpg
    photo303479.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you push down and twist the lamp base CCW to remove the bulb?

Can't help with connecting the plug for the stern light except check for corrosion on the pins or bent pins..

Dleopoldi914

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The pins wont seem to go back into the bottom also I cracked the lamp. Can I just buy a replacement ? Will fit mount right into the old one? I can then cut the wires to the old one and then splice wires to the new one and remount ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I can't tell how the wiring is done on the base.

The link is no good. Look in the iboats store.

Dleopoldi914

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I can use any light all I need to do is just cut the old wires and splice the new one and shrink wrap?

the old mounting hardware drilled into my stern is ok?

Dleopoldi914

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok so here is what I think.my stern light is made up of 3 parts the holder or mount that holds the pole,the pole with light and the powerpack or base that is on the side in blue.

right now the pole is stuck in the mount. I undid the ring and tried to twist it out. I read this is a common problem maybe spray some on blaster and take a pipe wrench to it?

the other thing is the 2 pin connector came out of the bottom and seems to be tons of corrosion there. It won’t go back into the bottom of the pole.

the third thing is my domento the light the plastic had a crack in the dome and when looking at it the plastic broke. I also broke the bulb and can’t get it out. I tried pulling with a pliers but I think from what I am reading I need to push the bulb in and twist.

ok so I get your point it looks like the pole and light are done I am fine replacing it. I don’t want to put holes in my boat and would rather use the power pack or base that is there.

With that being said can i just get a new pole/light and use the mount thag is there. Then use the current 2 pin setup that is there?

here is a pic to see how the complete setup looks

Dleopoldi914

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here it is

Attachments

• 9A4A120E-3A3F-40B6-80F0-C6740A283334.jpeg
    9A4A120E-3A3F-40B6-80F0-C6740A283334.jpeg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Everything you say in this thread points to the fact that the base and pole are junk due to corrosion. Yes - install an entirely new pole and base. Yes - you might have to drill some new holes. Seal the old ones if necessary.

Dleopoldi914

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok here is what I got I am going to try to repair the light that is there. I will spray all contacts with corrosion x and remove the lightbulb that is broken with pliers.

Then I will clean the 2 prong that comes from the blue box. Then put new bulb in and reconnect wires and try to use.........

backup plan.......

i purchased an led light that has a mounting bracket. This has regular black and white wires. If I use this I would not use the two prong and not use the blue box. I would look in the plastic covered wires that go to the blue box and put red to red and black to black using butt connectors. Then I would hear shrink to protect water.

does this make sense? If I am using the new light I don’t need the power box anymore (blue box) I would just hook straight the power source thee correct ?

what you think?

Attachments

• photo303542.jpg
    photo303542.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Dleopoldi914

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok went to the dock and was able to swap the bulb, spray lots of corrosion x to clean the prongs for the bottom and in the socket that holds the light. The issue is that my prong is messed up going from my blue box to my pole. i was able to use zip ties and tape to get it to hold for now.

the bad news is going to that blue box is no red and black wires. It’s 3 wires. Therefor I cannot just cut the wire and splice red to red black to black and mount a new pole. Anyway is rigged for now.

An i right about the blue box? Is there a way for me to get a new prong and splice onto my current setup? Issue is the prong.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok went to the dock and was able to swap the bulb, spray lots of corrosion x to clean the prongs for the bottom and in the socket that holds the light. The issue is that my prong is messed up going from my blue box to my pole. i was able to use zip ties and tape to get it to hold for now.

the bad news is going to that blue box is no red and black wires. It’s 3 wires. Therefor I cannot just cut the wire and splice red to red black to black and mount a new pole. Anyway is rigged for now.

An i right about the blue box? Is there a way for me to get a new prong and splice onto my current setup? Issue is the prong.

Ayuh,...... No idea what the blue box is,......

Yer new light needs to be securely mounted, then ya need to run 12v power from the light switch to the new light, 'n a fresh ground from a ground buss or the battery ground to the new light,.....
Then the new light will work, when ya turn the light switch, On,.....

You can probably use the wirin' to the blue box, once ya open it up, 'n see what the 'ell it is,......
'n get yerself a Test Light, so you can find Power, 'n Grounds,....