Recommend me a fish finder/gps

ErvCam

Seaman
Hey guys I currently have a very old very basic eagle unit that came with my boat. I’m looking for a good fish finder with gps and my price range is 600-700. Any recommendations?

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Bit more info is required to get the best result,
what are you going to use it for?
fishing?
cruising?
Estuary?
bay?
ocean?
freshwater?
lake?
river?
depth?
type of boat

ErvCam

Seaman
Fishing
bay, River, lakes some ocean but not further than I can see land lol
depth I guess at whatever you recommend
19ft Bayliner trophy center console

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Bit more info is required to get the best result,
what are you going to use it for?
fishing?
cruising?
Estuary?
bay?
ocean?
freshwater?
lake?
river?
depth?
type of boat?
Outside of the depth, why would any of this matter?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
With the limited budget, I would prioritize the following:
1. Largest screen
2. Real CHIRP. No fixed frequency Junk being marketed as CHIRP

When it comes to GPS I have a strong presence for Garmn. Good electrical designs, cost effective mapping solution combined with very intuitive user interface.

I give their “spread spectrum” fish finder very high marks as well but the associated hardware ( transducers) are not cheap.

I would wait until early Spring when they release the new units for the year. You can pick up last years models at steep discounts

ErvCam

Seaman
Ok I was looking at the hummingbird helix 7 I believe it was. But I can wait until spring no biggie

ErvCam

Seaman
Out of curiosity, what attracted you to Hummingbird unit over the others?

To be honest I was playing with it at cabellas and asked the guy about it just the price and options I guess seemed right. But then again I didn’t really know if my questions were appropriate. I wanted good mapping and marking and gps. But would also like to be able to tell the difference between a log and fish lol

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
To be honest I was playing with it at cabellas and asked the guy about it just the price and options I guess seemed right. But then again I didn’t really know if my questions were appropriate. I wanted good mapping and marking and gps. But would also like to be able to tell the difference between a log and fish lol
Thanks......appreciate the feed back

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As mentioned,
to get the BEST result,
You didn’t answer the question...how would your recommendation change based upon geographical location?

What functionality would need changed between a Bay, Estuary, river, lake or pond for BEST operation that is not depth related?

Would my saltwater setup not work in a river, lake or pond?

Last edited:

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Dingbat,
l did not not give a recommendation about which model was BEST because l do not know everything there is to be known about sounders and chartplotters,

we now know what type of fishing/boating/cruising ErvCam is looking at doing in the future.

( Because l asked that annoying ( apparently ) question )

this is good stuffs to know for other folk to base their recommendations on.

However, l am perplexed why the manufacturers give us the option of displaying 47 different color palettes,
but, such is life...

l am reasonably sure your saltwater setup will work in a freshwater pond, regardless of geographical location.

l do have another annoying question though,

why is the word chartplotter being removed from the english language?

Chartplotter sounds sooo much more nautical than GPS.