Home Camera Installation

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What do I need to know to install an outdoor camera at my front door? (Line or Low-voltage wiring or combination, Wireless options, etc.)

Thanks,
Nick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you get a RING door bell, nothing other than the kit. it uses the 24 volt transformer for your existing door bell that you currently have.

alldodge

Staff member
Not a lot is needed for just a camera. If you want it to record what it see's then need a recorder. Can get full systems at most places, HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc. The better the camera the better the image. Corded models need to be plugged in but they comes with a 60 ft cable to carry low voltage for power and coax for video. All is plug and play

Wireless can be interfered with, and if you can pick it up from wifi, so can others

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I knew I came to the right place. I had never thought about wifi being picked up by others, that makes a huge difference especially if there are other cameras in the house.

Thanks for the information from both of you,
Nick

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Wifi cameras can work, but... You need a good wifi system (multiple AP's) all set on proper channels to support it. I've got 5 HD cameras on wifi, and 4 unifi AP's to provide enough bandwidth. For the vast majority of people, I always recommend to go hard wired.