Wire gauge from battery to console - question

jed1894

Recruit
just bought a used boat and noticed that the two POS and NEG ( 4 total) wires from battery to console (which run everything) look thinner or smaller than I would think. I would think a 6 to 8 gauge wire would be needed but these wires are about the same size as the wires going to the actual components under dash. Maybe a little bigger but not much. Previous owner said he's been running this way for years. However, I did have to put in a new stator and rectifier in when I bought it because the wires had melted under the motor hood (2001 motor) and the voltage had dropped. Any opinion on smaller wires?

thanks Jed

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iBoats! :welcome:

The usual gauge is 10 or 8. If there are some high current-draw devices connected, larger may be required.

jed1894

Recruit
Welcome to iBoats! :welcome:

The usual gauge is 10 or 8. If there are some high current-draw devices connected, larger may be required.

thanks. I'm sure it's not at least 10 gauge. If it is too small what's the worst could happen?

NYBo

Admiral
Melted wiring if the fuse is too big, unacceptable voltage drop for things like chartplotters and depth finders. The former could cause a fire.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Keep in mind your ground from the console to the battery is just as important, and needs to be the same size (or larger) than your positive side. If you calculate power draw and voltage drop and put it into one of the various calculators, you also need to double the distance because of the ground cable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
First off, the stator and rectifier have nothing to do with the power distribution within the boat. Improper use of the battery select switch is the usual culprit for premature failures. Old age and corroded battery connections cause their share of problems as well.

Impossible to give an opinion without knowing the current requirements and round trip distance of the current paths of the components involved.

Having said that, the boat has been in use for 20+ years without a problem. The old adage “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” surly comes into play here.