Electrical glitch

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a 1995 Caravelle 175 open bow I/O 3.0 ltr mercruiser. About a month ago the fuel gauge would peg out intermediately. Was fine did not effect performance. Coil went bad and the marina changed it and adjusted the shift cables. Was ok a couple times out, now after you start it the alt gauge bottoms out, the fuel and oil pressure gauge peg and the blower motor light and the bilge light come on but the items aren't on. None of these things effect the running of the motor or the performance of the boat. After a little while of running it goes back to normal with no issues. At first when you turn it off and start it the issue goes away but then comes back until it seems like it warms up. Could this be a moisture issue? Where would all these items meet at the same place? Thanks again.Bernie

alldodge

Staff member
Place a voltmeter on the battery with it running. See if the voltage goes above 14.5V when you see these things

Will do, Thanks. That is the only place that all the grounds meet. The battery has seemed a little weak this year and I was going to replace it before next season. Just had it running and the alt gauge seems to be bouncing between 11 and 14. Used to be rock steady at a little over 14. Will check the battery when I get back home.

alldodge

Staff member
With it bouncing do check your ground connections, remove, clean, reinstall

Cleaned and reinstalled wires and now it seems worse. Went to put a voltmeter on it and of course the batteries corroded and fried it out. Going to try to get one from work tomorrow. Going to get the battery tested tomorrow as well. Battery is not dated and I've had the boat for 4 seasons. So who knows how old this thing is.

All of these things are happening without the engine even running now. Happens as soon as I turn the key on and with the key off with just the radio on. I've got a gremlin driving me crazy.

alldodge

Staff member
A battery with a shorted cell can cause all kinds of issues

Well finally got back to the boat. Life kinda took over. Bought a battery and no luck but I was going to replace it this year anyways. I cleaned sanded reconnected every ground the boat has. No fix!!! I know the circuit has the pump, blower, oil and temp gauge and volt gauge. First when it happened I undid the neg on the battery and it stayed running so alta. good. Then went one by one. First cut the bilge wires same. Then the gauges one by one till all were unplugged. Same unplugged the pos cheap radio I bought. BAM everything's been bad to normal. Been running a couple time for about 2hrs total no issues. Goes to show you get what you pay for and don't cheap out on a boat. Thanks again for your help. Bernie

alldodge

Staff member
undid the neg on the battery and it stayed running so alta. good.

Glad to hear your up and running, but a note; don't disconnect either battery cable when the motor is running. This causes the alternator to increase voltage from just above 14V to 16 to 18V an can blow and burn things up.

Removing the battery cable was an old trick with old cars/trucks with external regulators. The new ALTS with internal regulators is not good

Thanks for telling me that. I'm old school. Haven't even broken into the 2000 with my car either. Thanks again for all your help. Thank god I only pulled it off for a couple seconds. Nothing seems blown. Been running for about an hour in my backyard now.my neighbors must love me by now. I'm in the city of Chicago.