No power to ANYTHING but the tilt and trim.

Mettlecop

Recruit
Here's a question that I have search the internet for two days looking for an answer, but I have found nothing that comes close to my problem.
I have a 1998 Bayliner 2855 single engine. I had the marina do some work to it back in June. After fixing it, they launched it and tied it to our pier (we rent our slip from them). We went to the lake to see our boat during the week - and to take a short cruise on our *finally fixed boat*. When we got there, we had no power to the ignition, no power to any of the control switches, no cabin lighting, no power to the water pumps or anything. The only thing that worked was the tilt (up AND down) and trim tabs. Nothing else. We called the marina to have them take a look at it, but they were busy and could not get to it till the following day. We left and called them the following Friday morning before making the trip to the lake to see if the boat was ready to go. They said it was good to go (they fixed it for free). Upon arrival, we found that everything was again operational on our boat. We enjoyed the rest of the summer with no problems. Last week, we brought the boat home. I planned on winterizing it this weekend, but again, I had no power to anything but the tilt and trim. When I winterize my boat, I like to run RV antifreeze through the engine, then pull all my drain plugs as an added precaution, as well as pump out the on board water tank and run a little RV antifreeze through it too. With no power to anything but the tilt and trim, I can't do that. It's getting colder at night, so I've got to figure this out soon.
Any ideas what could cause this? Batteries are good. All inline fuses have been tested and are good. The circuit breaker on the engine is not popped - and there is power going to it - and from it. There IS power to the fuse panel under the helm, and all fuses are good there as well (checked with circuit tester)... every circuit there is energized - yet nothing works. There is power going to the ignition switch, yet the engine will not turn over - no clicking or anything. Again, the only thing that works is the tilt and trim tabs. I called the marina to see what they did to fix it the last time, but - of course, they could not recall. They want me to bring the boat back to them, which is about an hour away - and they couldn't guarantee how quickly they could get to it because they are winterizing boats right now. I would rather not wait till freezing temperatures to winterize it. I went ahead and pulled all my drain plugs to drain the block and exhaust, but I cannot run my water tank pump or shower drain pump to evacuate any residual water.
Has anyone ever seen this issue, and if so, what did you do to fix it?
Thanks in advance!

Mettlecop

Recruit
There is a purple wire that is joined with a blue and yellow wire. When I touched my circuit tester to them - where they plug into the switch, the tester lit up brightly but then quickly diminished when I turned the ignition switch on. There is a yellow and red wire that has no power to it at all. I do not have volt meter.

alldodge

Staff member
There is a purple wire that is joined with a blue and yellow wire. When I touched my circuit tester to them - where they plug into the switch, the tester lit up brightly but then quickly diminished when I turned the ignition switch on. There is a yellow and red wire that has no power to it at all. I do not have volt meter.

Your ignition switch should have a Red/Purple (red wire with purple stripe) which feeds the ignition key switch. This wire should have a 20 amp fuse feed the switch.

On one of the other terminals it should have a purple wire which feeds all the power to the motor and gauges. If you turn the key to ON the gauges should come ON and also see power to the coil + side

The 3rd terminal should have a yellow/red wire which only has power when key is turned to start. this should power the slave relay and engage the starter

Mettlecop

Recruit
Thanks! I will look at that tomorrow (it's getting dark, and I don't have a good shop light). There are two red wires connected to the ignition switch, but I didn't look close enough to see if either had a purple stripe. Would the 20 amp fuse be an inline fuse, or would it be on the fuse panel? There is only one 20 amp fuse on the panel, and it is good.

alldodge

Staff member
Would the 20 amp fuse be an inline fuse, or would it be on the fuse panel?

It can be either, but on most cases its an inline

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It sounds to me like a bad ground connection.
If they replaced the engine they will have to disconnect and re-connect the ground wires. The tilt motor has its own ground connection while everything else goes through the main ground between the battery and the engine.

Check to see if the black wire from the battery is connected solidly to a bolt on the engine and that the black wire from the main fuse panel is connected similarly to the engine.