Bayliner 1952 (1989) CC multifunction gauge wiring

Martti

Cadet
Hello and greetings from Finland,

I bought -89 1952 Capri Cuddy for a project, and now installing new multifunctional gauge. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mari...840540327.html

I am wondering about the wiring. There is originally always three wires going in to a gauge. At this new one, there is only signal wire (and one +, and on ground). I have connected all the wires, and I get the light to the meter, and I assume the speedometer works. Volt meter also works. Fuel meter shows it's full (which probably isn't right), and oil temperature is 248F (which is not right). Oil pressure doesn't say anything. Don't know if it is death or not. Probably is.

So I am wondering if I should connect those "extra" wires to somewhere which are left from the installation (those which went to the original gauges)?

I don't know did the original gauges worked or not. I think they did.

I bought the boat for a winter time project and it has been great fun to build it! I ripped the hole thing apart and now building it back together.
7AB5CC7E-92F4-461C-B8DE-3ADC445599BD.png

Thanks, and Regards,
Martti

sam am I

Commander
Cool gauge.....

Yes, typically 3 wires per gauge is normal....Power, ground and signal. So, 2 of the 3 wires for each gauge are redundant/daisy chained powers and grounds, ya don't need them anymore, you can just cap/tape them off or take them out if you're prettying it up nice and neat.

Think you meant water temp, not "oil temp" on the one not working (248 F), that might just be the signal wire on the sender fell off. A wrong reading of "ful"l on the fuel gauge is typically/sometimes a signal wire shorted to ground.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel, etc., all require senders that are compatible with the gauge. Speed on this gauge will not work as it has a GPS port that very likely needs to be connected. The voltmeter works because it is sensing the +12V supply to the gauge. Since the data for this gauge says Auto/Boat, that alone says you need the proper senders.

Martti

Cadet
I was thinking if the senders needs power too? Now there is only the signal wire going to the sender. I don't understand anything about these, but it makes sense that the signal wire only gives signal to the gauge.

I think I am going to test connect those "leftover" power and ground too.

It is now connected as "sam I am" said, but not working.

Speed is working. There is GPS antenna. That was easy. :)

Supplier said that this gauge would work with any sender. There is some kind of calibration steps to do after I get at least some readings (right or wrong) from the senders. All though I don't even know if the senders worked or not with the old gauges. I might have to change all the senders anyway.

Here is a pic of it. I think it looks cool. :)

Attachments

• photo302758.jpg
    photo302758.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
On you 89 engine I'll (as does your new gauge) assume/s all your sensors are "passive"......Meaning, the single signal wire coming from each gauge supplied the needed current to each sender.

TMI............

The sensors (the linear ones) are all basically variable resistors that are all ground referenced and as such, changing pressure, temp, position, etc, etc varies those resistances. From there, the gauge/s interpreters (with varying current due to said varying resistance due to said varying pressure, temp, position, etc, etc) of those signals and displays them with moving needles or counting digits.

Last edited:

Martti

Cadet
Thanks all. I measured the ohms from the signal wires (voltmeters black to the ground). I connected the grounds from the senders and I started to get some results. I think it's ok now. Next I just have to tell the gauge what resistance means what. That I will do next spring.