Catastrophic Fuses

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you use an add-on Catastrophic Fuse on your battery terminal(s) for typical V8 sterndrive? If so, what size, mfg, layout, pictures?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No, not needed and wont work. inrush current from the starter is like 400 amps any fuse big enough to survive in-rush current would be too big to handle a short that would cause a fire.

proper maintenance of your battery terminals and all connections is to clean the connections to shiny metal, make a good tight connection (if you have wingnuts, throw them away and get real nuts and a wrench). then after you make your connections, seal with marine electrical varnish.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks. I keep hearing the per ABYC spec any circuits directly off the battery need to be fused within one foot. Maybe that is any circuit other than the starter mains, i.e., bilge pump.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm getting conflicting opinions on if CFs can be used on starter cable terminal. This below from the Hull Truth forum:

"Starter probably draws 100-200 amp. the blue sea MRBF fuses blow about 300% at one sec and at 200% at 10 secs so 900a for the first sec for a 300a fuse."

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5190/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_-_300A

Any non-theorists out there? How are new boats fused to ABYC battery specs for starter cables??

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Super! Thanks bruceb58 - that diagram is exactly what I am looking for! I must have missed it on the Blue Sea site. It does look like the starter mains are exempt from fusing, but good to know how the other circuits should be fused. -John

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
[Q] Quick follow on question - How to you charge your START and HOUSE battery at the same time? Start engine on START Battery and then switch to BOTH ?