No 50amp breaker with factory mercruiser 4.3l 1999

redjupitar

Recruit
[h=1][/h] I believe I have a ground problem which I found and remedy the wire. However the boat cut out. No turn-over, lights. I cannot reset the 50 amp breaker because there is none on the boat. Not sure why this 4.3L does not have one. I am interested to know how to install one of these. Do if have to splice wires.?

alldodge

Staff member
Could use some more info about the current issues and what lead up to needing and finding the bad ground. The motor should have the breaker unless someone removed and bypassed. The breaker may be under the Mercathode or inside a box on top the motor.

Is this a carb or efi motor?

With nothing turning on when you turn the key it could be the 20 amp fuse at the helm.
If the trim doesn't work then it can also be the 90 fuse on the starter

redjupitar

Recruit
It looks to me that the obvious location for the 50 amp breaker on a bracket near the distributor and very close to the slave was never there to start with. I have an ignition control module 861251-1 but I do not see a mercathode. This is a carb motor. I tested the all the fuses underneath the dash with an alligator/light device and nothing showed lighted up as well as I tested the key ignition and nothing. The trim does work I suppose its a direct connection to the battery. Long story about the ground, I had to run a new ground to the gas sending unit. I believe I stepped on this while is was working on the engine and it may have touch the engine block. It was a bare wire in a small section. This is how I think this all started. Since all the fuses are not showing that they are live I have to assume its something else.

alldodge

Staff member
Look for the 90 amp fuse on the starter post

90 amp fuse.jpg

See if there is power on the small stud. This stud will have other wires, orange going to the alternator, red/purple going to the 50 amp breaker (yours no present). The red/purple wire goes to pin 6 on the engine plug, and also goes to the slave solenoid. The slave solenoid will also have a yellow/red wire which goes back to the starter small post.

See if power is on the red/purple on the slave

redjupitar

Recruit
I do recognize the 90 amp fuse sitting on the starter stud today. Can this 90 amp fuse go bad? I have ordered a new one. The other wires seem to be in order. In considering of introducing the 50 amp breaker. Would I have to rewire at the slave to get the breaker to be active?

alldodge

Staff member
Can this 90 amp fuse go bad?

If can burn out like any fuse, use a voltmeter to see if it has. If you can read battery voltage on the smaller stud its good. Can also just get the fuse that goes inside the box

The other wires seem to be in order. In considering of introducing the 50 amp breaker. Would I have to rewire at the slave to get the breaker to be active?

Yes, but before doing that need to find out where your losing power. Need a voltmeter to trace