No power to ignition/dash after changing battery.

Owens417

Cadet
Hi, new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while looking for info. I have a 2007 Bayliner Discovery 195 with a mercrusie 3.0. The issue with the boat, When I go to turn it on nothing happens. There's no power to the dash, none of the gages are turning on, motor will not crank. It was cranking the day before but it wouldn't start because the battery was reading low, under 12v.

I changed the battery the next day making sure to put all wires back in place, now it wont start. I have checked all the fuses, the one behind the motor 15a, checked the 50a on the motor and the 90a on the starter. My ignition does not have a fuse connected to it (not one that I could find). I used a circuit tester and traced the positive wire from the battery to the starter, and its getting power.

I also tested the fuse box under the dash, all the fuses are working. There's a 8g wire connect to the fuse box, I test the wire and it also has power. I tested the ignition switch and there no power to it. I have the wire diagram and it shows the purple wire as being a positive wire, so should it be a constant power.

My question is what should I do next? could it be a bad lanyard switch, bad ignition switch or something I completely missed. This is my first boat so this is all very new to me. Thank you in advance for any help.

alldodge

Staff member
There should be an inline fuse holder on the Red/Purple wire feeding the ignition key. This wire comes from the 50 amp breaker then thru the engine plug to the key. The purple wire feeds all the gauges and the more once the key is turned ON

Wiring Helm.jpg

Owens417

Cadet
Thank you for the quick response. I have read other post about this fuse but I cant seem to find it. I'll keep looking, now would it be under the dash or closer to the motor. The diagram depicts it closer to the ignition switch, is that correct?

alldodge

Staff member
Some manufactures place it in the fuse box and others use the inline fuse. Place a voltmeter on the red/purple wire and check for power. If there is no power, just trace the wire back to the fuse

Owens417

Cadet
So, I had a friend come by and retest all my fuses, It turns out it was the 50a breaker. I guess I tested it incorrectly, we jumped the breaker with a wire clip and the motor turned. Now to the next issue, the gas has water in so the motor will not stay on. We pumped it out from the tank and most of the line to the carb. Then I ran the line to a portable gas tank, it sounds like it want to stay on but keeps on dying. I popped the carb off and it looks pretty good, no visible corrosion. Im sure I need to rebuild the carb. How do I find the correct kit, Mecrusier S/N # 1A009278.?

alldodge

Staff member

Owens417

Cadet
Circuit breaker, water in the gas and a good carb cleaning. The boat only has 50hrs on it but it hasn't been in the water for a couple of years. Beside the lights and bilge pump what else should I be looking for?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
With an 11 year old boat, I would do all maintenance items to get a baseline and go from there.

- New Spark Plugs
-New Fuel Filter
- Change the oil
- Change the gear lube in the outdrive (look for signs of water intrusion, if there is water in there, pressure test it)
- New raw water pump impeller
- New bellows (Change the lower shift cable while you are at it, the old one is coming out to do the shift cable bellow)
- Adjust shift cable properly
- Inspect the Gimbal and U-joints. (If the U-Joint bellow allowed water in the last time out and has been sitting for a couple of years, there needs to be some work done, but that is kind of a worst case scenario and worth ruling out before it hits the water)
- I would personally change the Dist Cap, rotor, and wires just so I know its done
- Check timing on the engine
- Grease every fitting you can find

It may seem daunting at first, but there is plenty of knowledge in this forum and information readily available to help you get it done.

It is probably worth starting a topic in the mercruiser forum on this page.