Reed switch fuel sender.

harringtondav

Commander
I'm helping my bud shake down a nonfunctional fuel gage and we determined the sender is bad. I changed from a float arm to a Moeller reed switch and it works great, so I suggested he get one. My 9" tank took an 8" sender per Moeller. Their design keeps the float 1" off the bottom of the tank. But Moeller doesn't sell a 9" sender for his 10" deep tank.

VDO sells a similar reed switch sender in 230 and 250 mm lengths (9" & 9.8"). The unknown is if VDO's lengths are speced. for tank depth minus 1" like Moeller, or are these the actual length?

He'd like to have a sender that indicates 'empty' when you have little reserve. Otherwise he or other drivers will start to second guess it.

Does anyone know which VDO length he should buy?
Thanks.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
VDO is speced the same, minus 1 inch, but can be a bit less or more. It gives a reserve and also the sender doesn't come in contact with the bottom if flex happens. Placed a new one in my tank a few years ago

harringtondav

Commander
VDO is speced the same, minus 1 inch, but can be a bit less or more. It gives a reserve and also the sender doesn't come in contact with the bottom if flex happens. Placed a new one in my tank a few years ago

Thanks. I'll suggest he goes w/the 250 mm. My old float arm bounced the gage from limit to limit in rough water. The reed switch sender barely twitches the gage.