Wiring trolling motor

chrisw64

Cadet
I have a 2015 Lund 2000 Sport angler. I want to add a 24v trolling motor to the bow. Can I bypass the trolling motor battery box and wire straight to the main/acc battery without a problem? I will be using the motor for steerage with the use of the main motor as propulsion. I was worried about the wires heating up.

alldodge

Staff member
want to add a 24v trolling motor to the bow. Can I bypass the trolling motor battery box and wire straight to the main/acc battery without a problem?

Not sure I understand your question but it sounds like you want to take a 24V battery box and wire it to your accessory 12V source. That doesn't make sense so please elaborate

chrisw64

Cadet
I have two batteries installed in the boat. I wanted to eliminate adding two more batteries which would go in the secondary battery box and instead wire the trolling motor to my current batteries.

alldodge

Staff member
If you had a 12V troller, and change to a 24V, then you can use the one bat that was used for the 12V motor and just add one more

alldodge

Staff member
You don't want to use your starting bat with the trolling motor. It could be drained and then the motor can not be started

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you intend to include the starting battery in the 24 volt system, do you expect the second (non-starting) battery to be charged from the engine? The answer to that is NO. If you do try to charge it from the engine you will get sparks. As pointed out, trolling motors are huge current suckers so you really need a dedicated system. Three batteries is all you need.