alternator question

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i was going to hook up a new battery switch i bought and it says to hook one terminal to the regulator to protect the alternator if the switch is accidently turned off while engine is running. it says use a battery isolator if the alt has an internal regulater. how would i know if my alt has an internal regulater? if it don't then where would the regulater be?

alldodge

Staff member
Are you replacing an existing bat switch or installing new?
What kind of switch 1/2/both or on/off?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
its a 1/2 both or off. it has a protecter swith for the alternator if ir is switched off while engine is running, but to use this option i need to hook up a wire from the regulator "field wire?" if the alternator has an internal regulator then i can't use that feature. the problem is i don't know if my alternator has a regulator built in or not...It only has a pos and neg wire coming from it so i'm thinking the regulator is built in but i'm not sure.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't think yours has a regulator, but to verify if its a standard ALT it has 3 wires, one large red and 2 small yellow and Tan. if so the reg is internal and no need for the switch

Old L6 wire eng.jpg

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
yeah. i think you are right. i have the battery switch hooked up now and it seems to work ok. i'll definitely avoid switching off while running just in case. thanks for the help.