Mercruiser 470 outdrive tilt solenoid wiring.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wired up both solenoids with Merc versions. Previous 2 were both different and I doubt were correct. I wired them up the same from what I could tell,
but one of the older solenoids didn’t have the small
posts labeled. And someone had modified So want to check the wiring.

In picture solenoid to the left. There was a 2 pole switch or relay. It is reinstalled like it was before. Should I take it out and just connect the wires together?

The “S” And The “I”on the solenoid small terminals.
which one would take the ground wires normally? That makes checking the connections easy on one of the solenoids. There are 3 blacks together on one terminal, I think there currently on the S now.

The second solenoid Has a wire that looks to come from outdrive. It is starting to frey, the inside is softer than normal wire. Is this some kind of resistance wire?
would it go to “S” or “I”. That answer should verify if the second solenoid is wired ok the way they had it.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wanted to also add- the small relay/ switch thing in picture is not electronically connected to that post. The part is plastic where it connects to the small post.

There is one wire going to that post, I tightened it up before I mounted the plastic piece.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
The plastic piece looks like a circuit breaker. And It doesn’t say what amp fuse it is. It’s looking pretty old so needs to be replaced with the right break point or removed? Its in the wire that takes power to the second solenoid.