Main Motor and Kicker Alternator Wiring

Hazmat480

Recruit
I am new here and I know this topic has been around before but I haven't found a good answer to what I am looking for. I recently purchased a boat with a 4.3L Mercruiser with 100A alternator, it also has a Honda BFP 8 Kicker with a 12A alternator. Both motors have their own regulator/rectifier. The wiring is in shambles so I am going to be redoing it anyway. Right now both motors are connected to one starting/house battery. I do not think this is right, especially if I run both motors at the same time. I am worried about output voltages being different and one back feeding into the other, or one alternator puking and there some how being a back feed. An example might be if I do not use the kicker very often and want to run it between two lakes where there is a no wake zone just to keep it lubricated and idling the main in neutral. Or another might be if the kicker can't keep up with charging the electronics on board (4 downriggers, 2 chartplotters, etc.), and I want to start the main to charge the battery(s). Anyway what are some thoughts on how to wire the two alternators I would also prefer to go to 2 batteries. I have looked at 2 alternator isolators but don't know if they work with two different sized alternators, and the alternator on the kicker does not look like it can be brought back separately. I have room for 2 batteries but not for 3. I also have 3 independent batteries in series in the bow for my trolling motor, I lock the kicker straight and use the trolling motor for turning, and also the trolling motor independently. I am an industrial electrician but don't work a lot with DC systems. I understand them but this one has me stumped because they are two different sizes. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

run both thru a charging diode (battery isolator) and your good. just get one large enough for the charging output plus about 10%

outboards have stators, s

sam am I

Commander
Don't need a "charging diode" per-se.........Due to that each rec/reg's (even in I/O alts, see EXAMPLE image just below) in each motor (I/O or OB) inherently use rectifying diodes in their output circuity, by default, you have OR'ing diodes ("charging diodes") built in. This is also why two stock Merc 20 amp rec/reg's (see further below) can be tied together to make a 40 amp sys.......BONUS eh?

Click image for larger version  Name:	delco-remy-alternator-wiring-tamahuproject-org-with-diagram.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	10654254

Just tie both outputs together (or leave them if they already are, its fine), the rec/reg's internal diodes will prevent any contention ("back feeding") between the two outputs.

My setup is as follows....175 Merc with Honda 9.9.......See where Vout 1, 2 ,3 all tied together ("Charge Paths Tied")below feeding the Pro Mariner input.

Click image for larger version  Name:	batt iso setup 9_18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	10654255

FWIW, I use the Honda's oil pressure sender OR'd (D1, D2) with my Merc Ig sig so both engines can turn on my battery charge management (Pro Mariner) due to I troll a bit (caught 24 Kokanee today ;)) and use 4 electric downriggers (also FF, wash down pump, live well, etc, etc) so I want the Honda to turn on the Pro Mariner as well.

Last edited:

Hazmat480

Recruit
Thank you Scott for the clarification. Yes the kicker has a stator and the I/O has an alternator. Appreciate the feedback!

Thank you Sam as well this helps!