Opinion on trolling motor

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 21' StarCraft (aluminum) and I would like to put a trolling motor on it with a GPS. The one that I'm looking at is the Minn Kota Terrova 80 lb. Man, these things are expensive so I'm trying to do my research. Any opinions on this one or a comparable one?

Thanks

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the 55# 12V model, I LOVE IT! if I could go back, I would get the one w/ the Ipilot link, that would hook up to my fish finder, The salesman said I could but the upgrade for mine is a few bucks, I really love the anchor feature!

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is good to hear! After doing some research, the one I guess I need is the Terrova Riptide because it's rated for saltwater. I'd also want to get the quick release bracket for easy removal. I'm balking just because it's a lot of $$!

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about fishing with it? Since it's always on, seems like it would be easy to get a line wrapped in the prop, etc. Do they sell some type of cage to go around the prop to help protect against this?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What about fishing with it? Since it's always on, seems like it would be easy to get a line wrapped in the prop, etc. Do they sell some type of cage to go around the prop to help protect against this?
Wrapped a fish (tuna) in a prop once in 40+ years of fishing.
It’s a non-issue

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's a quality TM. You may also consider the Motorguide Xi5 series which is comparable but usually less expensive.

Anchor feature is fantastic. I was fishing in 15 mph wind on Sunday and it held me in place whenever I needed it.