Help- breaker engine hatch electric ram pops, but not when direct power

fgilty

Recruit
Hello all,
I just bought this boat.
My electric ram motor was inspected and in normal working condition. When I put it in the boat shortly after hitting the up button without any load attached it pops the breaker. When I use direct power with my battery jumper it goes up and down with no hesitation , binding or heating of the wires going to the ram motor.

I don't know if it is the original ram that came with the boat 2002 Chaparral 35' or if it may have been replaced at sometime. I know if a fuse or breaker pops you shouldn't just use a larger breaker or fuse. But why does it pop without any weight?

Could it be the wiring from the switch, the breaker not the right amperage, the ram bad? I must be honest and am tempted on putting a larger breaker or direct power for a short while and keep an eye on it..... But I don't want to cause a fire by burning up a wire while it should have popped a breaker. Please advise.
Thanks,
Fred

alldodge

Staff member
Get a fuse of same size and if it blows it (with no load) then the motor is shorting out, just not enough current to heat the wires up. If it doesn't blow it then maybe the breaker is going bad

fgilty

Recruit
Thanks great idea! But if this ram was installed in replacement of the old one and required a larger fuse or breaker . How can I find out what size breaker is the correct size for this motor? Just looking at all angles. Wouldn't the wires from the motor start heating up if it is shorting out? Also the breaker could be faulty.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Any maker and/or part number on the ram?

alldodge

Staff member
As GA mentioned, knowing the model of the lift will help.
If it was changed out and lets say the original used a 20 amp and the new uses a 30, running the 30 amp type should not be using more then 10 amps if that under no load