Lowrance 'Hook 7' issues - losing depth signal at appx 20 to 25 mph

wharfcreek

Seaman Apprentice
I am not an expert with 'sonar' functions, but have some marginal level of experience over a few decades of use. In the past few years I've moved from prior Garmin units to now having all Lowrance units on my boats. By 'boats', I mean my 2 center console boats; both Key West made, one a 1520, the other a 1720. Very similar, the 1520 being a '99 and the 1720 being a '00. The engine on the 1520 was replaced last year with what I recall as being a 2008 Merc 4-stroke EFI 60 HP, and the 1720 just got a 'new' 115 EFI 4-stroke Merc about a month ago. First 'new' outboard I've ever owned. Anyway, the 1720 was purchased by me this past spring and had some cell-phone depth finder unit on it....using an 'app' on a 'smart-phone'. The 1520 I purchased 2 years ago and installed a Lowrance Mark 4 on it that I purchased 'new' from Bass Pro Shop when I bought the boat. This past spring I purchased a Hook 5 unit for the 1520 and REALLY liked it. So, when I bought the 1720, I purchased a Hook 7 for that boat. I liked the Hook 7 so much I bought another one for the 1720. So, here's where I'm at today:

As to the operation of either boat, I seem to be having some problems with one of the two 'head' units regardless of which boat I use it on. Both these units were 'supposedly' NEW when purchased, but both were off ebay........and I'm pretty suspect of the one unit that is being problematic. After installing transponder unit on the 1520 from the Hook 5, I've had NO problems with that unit at all. And, likewise with the first Hook 7 on the 1720. BUT....when I purchased the second Hook 7 for the 1520, that head started acting up. I'd note that the transponder is the 'new' transponder that came with the Hook 5 I purchased from Bass Pro Shop.....and with the first Hook 7 head, I have no problems at all. It's only the second head that seems to be giving me problems, regardless of which boat or transponder I'm using. The problem is as stated in the title: at about 20 MPH I'm rolling along and I first note a seeming loss of signal on the screen function of the depth finder....then the digital depth reading starts flashing and the depth charting function seems 'locked up'.

I've attempted to do a 'system restore' command.....as well as I spent about 2 hours out on the Chesapeake Bay this evening playing around with the settings and control functions. To the best of my knowledge, this doesn't seem to have changed anything, as when it got dark and I finally headed in, I noted that as soon as I hit plane the signal became erratic and withing about 1/4 mile of running the digital depth indicator was flashing.

Fortunately, I troll these waters pretty regularly.....so I'm not in danger of hitting rocks or shoals. BUT..... I need to see the depth so I can know when I'm hitting the edge of the drop-offs out on the bay. For those of you unfamiliar with the Chesapeake, it's a pretty substantial body of water, a few hundred miles long, several miles wide, and with a bottom structure that ranges from a couple of feet in some places with a LOT of Rocks, to being nearly 300 feet in other places. My area ranges from 2' to about 30'.....but 'rocks' are a problem. I'm at the end of the Patapsco River, where the river meets the Bay. Rocky Shoals are ALL OVER ....which is great for Rockfish and fishing in general, but not good for draggin' lines if you don't watch your depth finder. So, I need some help here. If there's a 'setting' or 'function' I can try, please let me know. I'd consider transponder function as being potentially a problem, but the other Hook 7 and the Hook 5 worked fine.....so seems it's GOT to be 'head' related; either improper set-up by me.....or a problem with the unit. If the latter, anyone know anything about sending a unit back to Lowrance for evaluation/repair?

Many thanks!! Tom D.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
There are a few things you can try. First, try playing with the angle of the transducer. A lot of times adjusting the transducer's angle will allow it to read depths at higher speeds. Although, if your saying it works with one head, but not the other, this may not be the issue.

Second, you can try increasing the ping speed or sensitivity while cruising. This may help it read while underway. Just remember to turn it back down when you drift. I'd check the settings on the head unit that works--ping speed, sensitivity, surface noise reduction....etc. Make sure the new unit matches the setting on the head that works fine, and see what that does for you.