Voltage Question for New Battery

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After a long summer of Fixing a cracked block with JB weld , replacing the Gimble , U joints , new carpet and other items this summer I had a bizarre couple of days on the lake this weekend.

Went to get the boat on the lake and during Colorado's invasive species bilge de-con and the boat doesn't start; first time in 8 years.
So he brings over the portable jumper and Nada. Didn't have a multi meter ( as we were 2 plus hours away) so off to the local Wally's and get a new battery.
Couldn't remember how old the other one was so figured time anyway. Come back , fires right up and off to fish. Take a break and Nada again. Cleaned the connections, Nada. Whack on the starter and fires right up. Several more of those events and so time for a new starter ......... Then my GF is plugging in her phone, Bam the boat shuts off. Some more didling and find a blow fuse so ok off we go again.
Finally Home so testing everything today. Getting constant readings (12.8 when off and key on) across battery, starter relay and starter.
However concerned I'm getting 15.2 on the Meter at all locations and on the Gauge when at 2k RPM's ???
Gauge always read +- 13V when running. Guess That proves the battery was not 100% anyway. So why the sudden 15.2 with the new battery? Normal for a new battery getting charged by the system and will mellow out or indication of another (extremely coincidental) issue with the system?
Thanks for any input........
***1999 Bayliner Capris w/mercruiser 3.0lx Sterndrive

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
So why the sudden 15.2 with the new battery?

I see 3 possibilities
The alternator internal regulator has gone out
Or the sense lead is not connected (red/purple)
Or the orange wire has a bad connection going back to the battery

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
starterboat.jpgstarterboat.jpg Thanks for the response!
1) possible
2) connected and fine
3) possible as the boat got filled up with water this past winter, long story but has run amazing all summer considering I had a cracked block now fixed w/jb weld. I am now going through and cleaning the rust off the wiring. Orange wire definitely under water at some point, hence the finally toastalated starter. Hard to believe it even worked for about 150 plus starts this season once you see pic. I have now removed and ordered New. Will post after install and further testing.