Batteries and Chargers - Gotta keep 'em separated?

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
How important is it for the life of the battery charger that you don't install in the same compartment as your battery?

For all the install pics I've seen, this doesn't consistently seem to be a priority. For those who don't have them separated by either a bulkhead, or via installing them in different compartments altogether, have you had any issues? For those that do, was this the result of you having past issues?

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm reading where it can promote corrosion, thereby shortening the life of the charger. Not sure if that's sound advice or overkill.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have one charger that is over 40 years old and it has shown no corrosion because it has been in the same compartment. When all batteries were wet and you had to replenish the water in them, you got a lot of off gassing that might cause some corrosion, but that problem has been addressed and petty much eliminated these days. A lot of the newer batteries are vented differently than they were in the past and there are some out there that are sealed.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Awesome info - that's the type of perspective I'm looking for.

I'm going to be rebuilding both of my jump seat boxes, and the final design and dimensions will be determined by decisions like this. I'm likely going to be expanding them forward a few inches - not sure if a bulkhead to isolate the battery(s) from whatever else I may put in there will be necessary or not.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I know there is a guy in the Starcraft section that has onboard chargers in a couple of his boats and they are a really nice setup, his name is Waterman and his last restoration included information on his charger set up, you might want to look through his thread on it, when he pulls in, he just plugs his boat in and charges the battery.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know there is a guy in the Starcraft section that has onboard chargers in a couple of his boats and they are a really nice setup, his name is Waterman and his last restoration included information on his charger set up, you might want to look through his thread on it, when he pulls in, he just plugs his boat in and charges the battery.

Looking him up now - thanks for the tip!