GPS/Fish Finders Power Down on Restart

MadMick

Cadet
I have 2 GPS/Fish finders on my boat. One is set on sonar and the other on charts.

I installed a new switch panel over the winter. Both GPS’s will not turn on until battery is turned on and the GPS power switch in my panel is switched on.

After GPS power switch is on one of the units powers up automaticity while I have to manually power on the other. This is not a big deal as I think I have to adjust the settings.

The issue I’m having and which is annoying is that if I turn engine off both units stay powered on but when I restart they both power down and I have to power them back on. This is annoying as it takes a few minutes to power up which leaves me blind during that time. I don’t like this especially with my chart unit.

Is this normal or is there a way to not have the units power down when I restart.

I have 2 batteries, start and house
I also have a battery charging system installed for when I’m docked.
I have a Perko battery switch installed as well.

Not sure if more ore info is needed.

Best,

MM

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Is this normal or is there a way to not have the units power down when I restart.

I have 2 batteries, start and house
I also have a battery charging system installed for when I’m docked.
I have a Perko battery switch installed as well.

Not sure if more ore info is needed.

Best,

MM
Yes, it's a common problem. No, its not normal.

Starting the motor is causing an under voltage condition at the electronics.

Possible causes:
1. Under sized wiring feeding the 2 units
2. A weak battery (should be load tested)
3. Bad connection or corrosion somewhere in the circuit

I'm running two chart plotters and a sonar unit networked along with a bunch of other electronic peripherals.

Two batteries connected to an ACR. On-off -both switch. All fuse panels supplying power to the electronics are wired directly to the house battery

Everything stays on until I turn the units of individually

MadMick

Cadet
DingBat, thanks for the info. I will check out your suggested issues tonight. I do know that my batteries always read 13 to 14 at the gage so I believe they have the juice. It's a completely new switch panel and new wiring from panel to buss bar. The GPS units are connected to the buss bar with their original wires so I'm thinking it's not that. I will have a dig around. Maybe or should I say probably I screwed something up with their connections. I will update if I find anything.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
DingBat, thanks for the info. I will check out your suggested issues tonight. I do know that my batteries always read 13 to 14 at the gage so I believe they have the juice.
There are two components to powering your electronics, amperage and voltage. The gauge tells you nothing about the available amperage.

Test for you.... connect a voltmeter to power lead that plugs into the back of your sounder to monitor the voltage then crank the motor. If the voltage drops, below 12 volts, move your voltmeter back to the fuse panel powering the sounder and try again. If your still getting a voltage drop, connect directly to the battery and try again.

If the power is still dropping out, your battery need replaced.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Which battery are the GPS/FF wired to? They should be wired to the house battery. If they are wired to the start battery, what you are describing is normal when starting the motor in most cases.