Battery charger install on two battery system.

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to install a Pro Sport Charger two bank in a 2017 Cobalt . The battery switch says Battery 1 and combined. When hooking up the charger do I need to find the engine battery vs the house battery. If so how do I tell which is which. Thanks. Or does it matter .????

alldodge

Staff member
battery switch says Battery 1 and combined

Does it have a battery 2 position?

So far as the 2 bank charger, it doesn't matter which is start and house

alldodge

Staff member
Nope Battery 1 and Combined that's all.

That is different, have seen the 3 poles with OFF and the single ON/OFF but not yours. Guess it could just be as its listed, there is on OFF position

In any case a 2 bank setup is done to power something else (stereo, other) so power is not used from the start bat. It can be installed so it is in reserve in case the start bat goes low to help start. Might need to replace the switch but do need to know how it works. Maybe remove and verify operation.

If the switch does not disconnect one battery from the other, then you only use one of the 2 bank leads. This is the standard setup and can also add the ACR for charging while running

Two Bat one switch and ACR.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Not that it matters, but follow the large battery cables from the engine to the battery. Wherever those cables terminate is the start battery, leaving the other as the house or auxiliary battery. Combine merely means the two batteries are placed in series so the two batteries look like one big one. Just hook up each pair of charger outputs to the batteries. Doesn't matter which one.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not that it matters, but follow the large battery cables from the engine to the battery. Wherever those cables terminate is the start battery, leaving the other as the house or auxiliary battery. Combine merely means the two batteries are placed in series so the two batteries look like one big one. Just hook up each pair of charger outputs to the batteries. Doesn't matter which one.

Yes except they are placed in parallel not series. If they were placed in series he would get 24 volts.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I bought my 2015 Stingray, it came with the same switch. batt 1 or both, and a ACR. To charge both batteries, the switch needs to be in both, if not, it only charges batt 1, for me, is the start battery, but while in 1, I do not drain the start battery with electronics. This is the way it came from the factory, so I guess it makes sense?????
It works for my purpose. I run the electronics very minimal when the engine is off, so there is not much of a drain.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
When I bought my 2015 Stingray, it came with the same switch. batt 1 or both, and a ACR. To charge both batteries, the switch needs to be in both, if not, it only charges batt 1, for me, is the start battery, but while in 1, I do not drain the start battery with electronics. This is the way it came from the factory, so I guess it makes sense?????
It works for my purpose. I run the electronics very minimal when the engine is off, so there is not much of a drain.

The poster has a dual bank charger (one bank for each battery). The batteries do not need to be "combined" in that configuration. If you use a single bank charger then yes -- the "combine" feature must be activated.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
The poster has a dual bank charger (one bank for each battery). The batteries do not need to be "combined" in that configuration. If you use a single bank charger then yes -- the "combine" feature must be activated.

My reply was more of the operation of the Batt1 and combined switch. Previous replies referenced a 3 position switch. I was hoping it would provide some clarification.