Humminbird depth finder no tranducer signal

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a used bow rider with an aftermarket fish finder added and it gives an error that there is no signal from the transducer detected so it goes into demo mode. The device has 3 plugs on the back and there are two wires available and plugged in. The transducer is mounted on the back of the boat and I can sort of follow the wire back (but haven't laid eyes on 100% of it) and all seems well so far. Is there a 3rd wire that needs to be plugged in that is missing or do I have a short in the transducer or wire? Any help is appreciated!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
How old is it? You probably have a bad transducer, you can get replacements from Humminbird, but if it is over a few years old, it is best just to replace the system with the newer ones with the better electronics. What is the model number on the Head unit?

southkogs

Staff member
I just got one, and there are only two wires - power and transducer. Hummingbird's site has manuals on it in PDF form if you want to look over the install instructions.

Alumarine

Captain
The transducer cable probably has 3 pins although there is room in the connector for more pins.
If that makes sense.
As mtboatguy said if it needs a new transducer probably best to get a whole new unit.

icwingman

Seaman
transducers are about 60 - 80 bucks compared to 500 for a new unit, check your year and model number

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
transducers are about 60 - 80 bucks compared to 500 for a new unit, check your year and model number

I didn't pay $500 for the new one I bought a couple of months ago, it has GPS, temp, several types of contrast setting, compass, I paid $199 bucks for it...Honestly, I would have to get the manual to remember all of the features it has..

I don't think I want to shop at the same store you are! My old Pmax 170 had a lot of features as well that I have in my 14' boat and I caught it on sale for $89 bucks a couple of years ago.

:eek:

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Features.....lol

The only “features” that matter is that it works every time and it get you from point A to point B.

The rest is marketing guys earning their keep.

Performance is different. Unfortunately a number of mfg do not publish meaningful specifications using industry standard testing norms.

Sad...but it all comes back to the ignorance of the consumer. 100 kph is faster than 80 mph.....lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The only thing that matters to me on these gizmos, is they show the depth and the GPS works.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I will get the info this weekend when I take the cover off the boat to work on it. I am guessing the fish finder is ~10yrs old maybe a few years older, maybe a few newer but I bet it is from 2004 - 2009...I have a Eagle I bought for my 2-man I got for under 100 bux that is probably 10yrs old...it has barley been used so I could potentially use that or buy a new uni if I can't get a transducer...

Speaking of transducers, the flat part point out away from the back of the boat where it is mounted...can you tell me how a transducer reads on the screen? In other words, am i seeing on the screen directly below the boat or behind the boat or what? This humminbird says "dual beam" whatever that means.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
heck, new hummingbird systems are in the $130+ range complete. even a 5" helix with CHIRP is under $230

even the new Garmin systems are in the $150+ range where just a few years ago they were about $400

buy new, install, go boating.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
, the flat part point out away from the back of the boat where it is mounted...can you tell me how a transducer reads on the screen? In other words, am i seeing on the screen directly below the boat or behind the boat or what? This humminbird says "dual beam" whatever that means.

Ducer should be pointed down.

But a photo would help.

Some really nice Hook and Helix units on clearance now, and in the fall.

And the 3rd cable connection, would be for an old paddlewheel speed sensor, OR for a network connection.
It is not needed.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
On the back of my PMAX 170 there is 3 receptacles, one is for power 2 pin, one is a 6 pin for transducer and one is a 4 pin for temp, but the transducer I got with it also senses temp so the third receptacle is not used.

Forgot to add, my transducer on this model mounts point forward/flat backward and the body is parallel with the bottom of the boat.

Last edited:

icwingman

Seaman
your seeing under the boat, dual beam is the power the transducer is putting out. you get i ft diameter for every foot of depth with hummingbird, side image is about 240 ft to sides check their site

icwingman

Seaman
most hummingbird transducers only come with a 20 ft cable, but you can get an extension cable from their site

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
your seeing under the boat, dual beam is the power the transducer is putting out. you get i ft diameter for every foot of depth with hummingbird, side image is about 240 ft to sides check their site

This is what their website says about my transducer..

Dual-beam sonar with 200/83 kHz (20 degree/60 degree) beams and 1600 watts PTP power output

It works great for the type of fishing and boating that I do.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
your seeing under the boat, dual beam is the power the transducer is putting out.
Dual beam” has nothing to do with power of the transducer. If anything, running two piezo reduced the power you put on a target.
How you get i ft diameter for every foot of depth with hummingbird
How do you get a 1:1 height to base ratio with a cone?

The depth to view area of your typical 12 degree transducer is 5:1 At 20 degrees your a bit under 4:1 ratio

side image is about 240 ft to sides
sidescan uses a fixed angle transducer making viewing distance relative to depth.

Your 240’ figure is the max you can see. With two years of side scan under my belt, I’m very skeptical. Be interested in the small print under that claim.