Battery selector switch causing too high voltage?

andraust

Recruit
I just finished installing a Perko battery selector switch on my Lund. This allows me to run my accessories off of a second, deep cycle battery. Install was easy and everything on the boat is running as it should. However, on my first time using the boat since the install, I have noticed that the voltage indicator is reading nearly 15 volts! That’s way higher than the usual 12-13V. On the way up the lake I had the switch set to Both batteries. Before heading home I selected just the battery 1 setting, but with the same high voltage results. Does anyone have any idea why this would be? Thanks.

Alumarine

Captain
12-13 volts would be too low I think. You should be around 14 volts.
Your gauge could be wrong as well.
Best to use a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery.
What motor do you have?

Last edited:

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
you should be charging at around 14 volts but not over 16 volts, 12-13 volts is a fully charged battery. hook a multimeter up to the battery and have someone drive the boat and see what the battery actually reads. In most cases the voltmeter in the boat isn't real accurate, if you are around the 14 volt mark on the multimeter, see where the volt gauge is and then you will know where it sits when actually charging 14 volts and if the voltmeter changes then you will know you have a problem

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
A lot of marine instruments have been notorious for not being accurate, when I am testing things, I always use my multimeter.

andraust

Recruit
Okay, so if the voltmeter is registering close to 16 V it won’t ruin the batteries?
also, do you think the alternator is pushing a higher voltage because there are two batteries on board now?
I wasn’t expecting any change as I figured the voltage regulator would continue to regulate the same as always.
Thanks for your help.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would pick up a multimeter at Harbor Freight for a few bucks and keep it on the boat, that way when things seem out of whack you can check it to give you peace of mind. I am pretty sure you are fine, but check it anyway to be sure.