Mercruiser 3.0L gauges stopped working.

crap in a box

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1984 Mercruiser sterndrive engine (breaker points). I'm very new to boats but I've had time to study some diagrams and do some testing to try and fix my problem. The engine starts fine but I'm having an issue where all the gauges stop working, including lights, etc. and they'll start working again out of no where. I thought I had a loose connection somewhere at first because when moving wires around I would sometimes get it working again, but I'm pretty sure after some testing that I have a short. I don't really know where to start.

Any input would be really appreciated!

bobstoy

Cadet
sounds like you are losing power to the gauges. i would check the fuses for corrosion

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Gauges get power from the ignition switch just like the coil does for the ignition

crap in a box

Recruit
Sorry I should've been more specific. Not only gauges but also bilge pump, blower, nav lights. Everything on the dash stops working.

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry I should've been more specific. Not only gauges but also bilge pump, blower, nav lights. Everything on the dash stops working.

Ayuh,.... Start at the battery, 'n Clean to shiny metal CLEAN, All the connections, includin' the Grounds,.....