Bayliner gauge issues

Hi everyone, new to the board so forgive the noob if I'm in the wrong place. I have a 2000 Bayliner Capri 2050LX and none of the gauges work. Fuel, Oil Pressure, Water Temp and tach don't function (unsure of trim). I do however get a 'twitch' out of the fuel gauge when I go to 'ignition'. I've checked voltage and continuity from the barrel plug to the fuse panel even disconnected the 8G red and black wires and got solid 12v connected or not. I've run new 12G ground to the fuse block but nothing works. Short of taking it to a dealership are there any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if all the gauges dont work, they are not getting power from the ignition switch (purple wire)

Thanks Scott Danforth I thought the same so I pulled the connectors off the gauges and measured +12v across the power and ground wires when the key was in the 'Ignition' position. Could I lose the +12v after starting and the key returning to the 'ignition' position....seems odd but then again we are dealing with an 18 year old boat. Could the gauges themselves be bad?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
yes, does your motor die as well?

ignition switches can go bad.

Nope, motor runs like a champ. Dash switches all work (bilge, blower, nav lights, etc) as does the horn its just the dang gauges. So do I swap out the ignition or do I grab a single gauge (oil press runs about $40) and start the swap game?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
then someone re-wired your gauges. the voltage for the gauges should come off the ignition switch along with the feed to the coil.

Based on the wiring diagrams I've seen there are two separate wiring harnesses, one to the gauges and one to the switches. Here's the wiring schematic I've been using
Wiring diagrom.JPG

Scott Danforth

Staff member
all the gauges are connected to the I terminal (ignition) on the key switch along with the ignition feed to the motor (with the emergency man-overboard switch)

So the ignition is a bit more challenging to reach so I pulled the harness off the tach (black, gray and purple wires?) and with key to 'ignition' I get 12.33VDC between black and purple. When I actually start the engine I get 10.2VDC between same wires. Doesn't that tell me I'm getting a "signal" from the sender and should see the needle move - bad gauge?