Depth/fish finder test?

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I've got a fish finder with a big 5" or so screen and a small depth finder that looks kind of like an old school pager. Both are humminbird. I see two black blocks off the transom on each side of the boat that say "humminbirg", so I assume they are the sensors. Problem is, neither of the finders power up. How to I begin troubleshooting this? I have replaced all the fuses in the dash by the ignition. There are 7. The manual says there are 8, but the 8th spot is a cigarette lighter. I can put pictures up later when I get home if that will help. Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Pull the power cord off the back to see if you have 12v at the unit. If not, follow the wires from each unit back to the power source.

What model number is each unit?

Its rare to have two units installed unless there is a problem with one or the other

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'll check today when I get home in a couple hours and let you know. Thanks

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
​​​​​I do have a set of red and black wires..a smidge thicker than standard speaker wire, that are sitting open near the battery. I traced them up to the dash area but couldn't find where they ended up since there were a few wires that looked similar. Could that possibly be them power ?If not..any way to check where they go? IMG_20180712_131029.jpg

Attachments

• image_295546.jpg
    image_295546.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Anything is possible. Connect them to a power source to see if your units work or check continuity between the wires at the back of the units and the wires you found at the battery.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I checked for power at the larger one. I didn't have as much time as I had hoped, but no power. The cord doesn't appear the same as the mystery wires. It is one thicker black wire. I followed it a bit. It the transducer wire, I believe, went through the transom to the sensors. I didn't get to the end of the power supply though. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll upload pics of the two units here.

Attachments

• photo295925.jpg
    photo295925.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo295926.jpg
    photo295926.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I got power to the lcr4. There was a buried fuse under the dash that blew, but now all I get is "self test" on the display with constant, loud beeping. None of the buttons are responsive. This went on for a good 5 minutes before I unplugged it. Here is a video of the sound https://photos.app.goo.gl/R9X8xiPqJbP85TGdA

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So I got power to the lcr4. There was a buried fuse under the dash that blew, but now all I get is "self test" on the display with constant, loud beeping. None of the buttons are responsive. This went on for a good 5 minutes before I unplugged it.
Unplug the transducer cable to see if its stops beeping. If not, the transducer is shot.

Having said that, I wouldn't spend much time on either unit.
The units are going on 30 years old. The odds of a 30 years old transducer working is slim to none.

Cheaper to buy a new unit than piece meal them back together

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah the smaller one has power to it, but it doesn't power on. Bummer I was hoping I'd be able to fix at nest one of them...unrelated note, my trim tab motor is leaking. It's a v351. I tightened one of the lines that looked a bit loose. Are they easy to over tighten? And there is an opening in the top..like a fill hole or something, but it isn't covered by anything..is that normal or is it missing something ?

Attachments

• photo296029.jpg
    photo296029.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unplug the transducer cable to see if its stops beeping. If not, the transducer is shot.
When I read this I assumed the transducer was in the unit, but the transducers are the sensors on the hull, right? Would the unit work with new transducers? How can I check what I need?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When I read this I assumed the transducer was in the unit, but the transducers are the sensors on the hull, right? Would the unit work with new transducers? How can I check what I need?

Transducers are hanging on the transom.....

Your dealing with 30+ year old, obsolete technology. Transducers where mostly proprietary units matched to a particular make and model of sounder.

Even if by some chance you could find a transducer that works, your looking at $50 - $75 just to see if the head unit works. If the unit doesn't work, your out the $50 - $75 for the transducer and you still need a new unit.

A new unit, with transducer, of comparable capabilities would run you ~ $100 - $125. Add another $100 and get GPS as well.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. I don't know how I feel about running new lines through my transom though. It is pretty simple to do ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It is pretty simple to do ?
You have it easy....old one still in place

Tie a piece of wire, string, fishing line on the old cable before you pull it out. Tie end of string to new cable and pull back through.