Choosing a battery

mcnamee05

Cadet
I’m sorry if this has been asked to death, but I had troubles finding an answer. I had a conversation with someone about batteries and they told me that for the starting battery I need to use a car battery. My boat has a deep cycle battery already and I was told to replace it. My battery also has all my other electronics hooked into it, so I would assume I would need a deep cycle. I have 3 batteries total. 2 for a trolling motor, and the one for everything else. I’m sorry if this is hard to make sense of, but any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
deep cycle is for electronics and trolling motor
marine starting battery is for the starter, however there are some combo batteries (starting/eedp cycle)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You will have no problems using a deep cycle as a starting battery.

I’ve run two grp. 27 deep cycles on mu boat. Absoletly no problems with them.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Same here, deep cycle's work perfectly well as starting batteries in boats and RV's. You won't get the cold cranking amps, so you probably won't be able to start your boat at -40... :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The old saying pops more than it should, but in our mudder trucks with winches and such, we run deep cycle batteries for everything and have never had a problem, you can use them for starting as well as accessories and have no problems at all.