Wiring digital VSR

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I just got a voltage sensitive relay and battery isolator and am wanting to install it, is the method below correct?

I am thinking from the engine pos to the vsr-vsr to isolator switch-iso to start battery pos

Other side House pos to vsr-vsr to iso-iso to house pos on battery with the grounds tied together, sound right??

Last engine was an 81 Evinrude with a bad stator, now I am running a new Yamaha 50 with all of 8 hours on it and I am in no hurry to smoke my brand new alternator.

If it matters the VSR I have is a BEP digital voltage sensitive relay, all batteries, 2 house, 1 start, are same age and type and the boat is plugged into an onboard charger if it is not on the water,

Thanks for any help.

alldodge

Staff member
isolator switch-iso

Just for clarity, this is a battery switch and not an isolator?

If its a bat switch then do install like this (ACR and VSR install is the same)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Two Bat one switch and ACR.jpg Views:	6 Size:	41.5 KB ID:	10613543

5150abf

Vice Admiral
SO I got everything wired up but want to make sure, there is a ground wire that says "connect to common battery".

That would be the start battery correct?

alldodge

Staff member
SO I got everything wired up but want to make sure, there is a ground wire that says "connect to common battery".

That would be the start battery correct?

Yes for the most part, but the ground cables from both bats should be connected together on the engine block so they should both be common

5150abf

Vice Admiral
YA, I jumped the grounds from the start and house, the wire I am talking about is coming off the vsr, just a tiny little one.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, its just a little one and with all grounds together for the most part it doesn't matter