Starter spins but won't engage

Plainoldguy

Cadet
I switched out a motor, controls and ignition switch but I'm not sure about the starter relay connection to the ignition switch, and now my starter spins but won't engage. At first I mistakenly connected the black wire from the ignition harness to the ignition switch terminal labelled "I" because it previously had a black wire connected to it. I now realize the black wire (that previously had been connected to the "I" terminal on the switch led to the overheat buzzer. Since making my mistake I've found and attached a diagram that seems to match my motor (1983 Force 85 HP). From the diagram, I can't tell how (or where) I need to terminate the black wire that comes from the starter relay (if the diagram really matches my motor). I'm thinking (or hoping) that I simply need to find the proper connection to this wire in order to solve my problem. I'm also hoping I didn't mess something up when I momentarily connected this black (grounded) starter relay wire to the "I" on my ignition switch. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo295540.jpg
    photo295540.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You may want to pm a moderator to move this to the force outboard forum

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the starter motor spins but doesn't engage the flywheel, wiring is not the issue. The Bendix (the gear on the starter) moves up the shaft due to the inertia of the starter when it begins to turn. If the Bendix does not rise, either the shaft and grooves in it are sticky and need cleaning and lubrication, the starter is not spinning fast enough because of an issue, the battery is not fully charged, or there are dirty connections. Measure the voltage at the big lug on the starter as someone turns the key to start. If it is less than 11.5 - 12 volts you have a battery or connection issue. Clean the battery cable terminals -- both ends.