Can't get trim motor to work...

mikemlittle

Cadet
We were just given a 1989 Maxum with a 125hp Force Outboard. I was going to see if the motor worked before I put too much money into this project so I replaced the battery and ignition switch and the motor cranks. I tried to tilt the motor down so I could change the gear oil but nothing happens. In fact nothing else electrical seems to work other then cranking the motor and the Volt Meter. Most the fuses look ok but I'm not very familiar with how boat wiring works. Wiring on the battery looks a little wonky but maybe someone can help??

Attachments

• photo295139.jpg
    photo295139.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295140.jpg
    photo295140.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295141.jpg
    photo295141.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295142.jpg
    photo295142.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 0

mikemlittle

Cadet
We were just given a 1989 Maxum with a 125hp Force Outboard. I was going to see if the motor worked before I put too much money into this project so I replaced the battery and ignition switch and the motor cranks. I tried to tilt the motor down so I could change the gear oil but nothing happens. In fact nothing else electrical seems to work other then cranking the motor and the Volt Meter. Most the fuses look ok but I'm not very familiar with how boat wiring works. Wiring on the battery looks a little wonky but maybe someone can help??

Just to add.. I don't hear anything electrical happening.. no motor running.. no clicking.. nothing.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Most will suggest you disconnect and clean all the connections on the battery (and anywhere else on the boat you can get to) so they are shiny new looking. Get rid of those wing nuts on the battery terminals and replace them with stainless steel nuts.
Check all the fuses you can locate. Best done with a multimeter by making sure power goes in the fuse and power exits the fuse.
I don't know if an outboard has the same setup as an I/O as far as your trim motor goes. In an I/O boat, the trim motor has two solenoids. One for up, one for down. The up wire is blue like the sky and the down is green like grass. The solenoid's contacts can corrode very easily preventing power from getting to the trim motor. Solenoids for I/O boats are cheap, $15-$20 or less. I'm not sure about outboard solenoids.
So basically, start first by checking all your fuses and connections everywhere you can find, then report back.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know a lot about force outboards but have had a number of Chryslers over the years,

early/mid force motors were basically chryslers in the early years,
One thing l noticed is the trim motor wiring seems to be going through the lower motor housing,

on Chryslers the trim motor does not use solenoids and the wiring runs separately to the other engine ignition wiring to the ignition switch,

l would check the switch connections there first then run your hand along the trim wiring to check for wear points in the wiring that may short out on other objects etc,
if all fine there l would look at the trim motor itself,
it just bolts off with the wiring,

l'm thinking some one has run the trim wiring to the starting solenoid,
but force may have changed the set up too,

if you ask the question on the Crysler/force page you will get the correct answer from jerry or nordin or other force folk,