Four Winns Dash Issues

Kind of a 2 part question here so feel free to tell me to post somewhere else. Have a 96 Four Winns Horizon 200 with the VDO dash. Since I’ve had it, I’ve had no speedometer and no depth finder reading. (Obviously the quick fix is a GPS depth finder but alas, I’m too cheap to buy one if there’s a possible fix I can do.)

1) the depth finder is a Lowrance LSM-1. From my research, it was proprietary to Four Winns. First time I took it out, it was freaking out for a little while, giving random inaccurate depths. That was the most I’ve seen from the display in weeks. It’s usually just always off, until tonight. Took the dash apart, unplugged everything, cleaned all ends of the finder with contact cleaner, hooked it back up, and got what looked to be a zero with a missing “bar” in the display. It lasted for 10 seconds and then SLOWLY faded until
gone. Was instantly thinking power so I tested the power being sent to it and it was checking out around 11.5v.(Ironically, there was an identically 4 pin power clip right next to it behind the dash that was getting any reading, wonder if it was an accessory power or something) Cleaned it again, to have the exact same thing happen. Any chance this sounds like power? Or is the display just shot?

2) Pitot tube was trashed when I bought it so I replaced it. Nothing. Blew in the back of the tube in the dash and the needle moved a bit so I’m assuming the gauge is fine. Cleaned out the tube on the transom. Still nothing. Thoughts?

Might just replace the whole thing, but wanna make sure the issue isn’t something somewhere else. Any thoughts are welcomed!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
11.5 volts is likely below the low voltage cutoff point for the unit. You either have too much voltage drop or a weak battery.

Bondo

Staff member
wonder where the drop in power is coming from and why. Any tips?

Ayuh,..... Probably resistance from corroded wirin' connections,.....

Start at the brand new battery, 'n clean to shiny metal CLEAN, All the connections,....
Includin' the grounds,.... both ends of the wires,.....