Trim problem

Rubysmith

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1994 Mariah Talari 210. The trim is not going up or down when I press the button. When I first noticed the problem the motor was a few inches off of the ground. When I pressed trim down it fell to the floor. I can hear the trim motor running but it doesn't move.

alldodge

Staff member
Go to the trim pump and see if you have any oil in the reservoir (10w30 motor oil)

Merc trim pump new 93247A7.jpg

Rubysmith

Seaman Apprentice
Hello! When I first checked there was no oil so I added some and ran the motor but still nothing. The old oil was white which from what I've read means water has gotten into it. I ended up removing the whole motor from the boat so I can take it to a shop. Do u think it could still be the oil? I would hate to spend money for them to check it if it is just the oil. Is it normal for the outboard to fall like that if there was no oil?

alldodge

Staff member
old oil was white which from what I've read means water has gotten into it

Yes, if the trim cylinders are leaking then water gets in. Since the trim motor was running, I wouldn't take it to the shop just yet, need to find out which cylinder is leaking.

First drain the tank reservoir, clean and refill with oil. Then run the drive up and down while watching the level in the tank. Refill tank as it gets lower. Once filled run the cylinders and find out which one is leaking (maybe both) or where is it could be leaking (hydraulic manifold, or lines)

Is it normal for the outboard to fall like that if there was no oil?

The trim system is hydraulic, and it needs oil or some other liquid to move items. When oil is low, air gets in and air cannot move cylinders

alldodge

Staff member
Put some motor oil in the tank and then use the trim buttons on the throttle handle and run them up/down.
As before, need to watch the tank so it doesn't go empty. Running it up down a little at a time will purge the air if there is not a big leak

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Go to the trim pump and see if you have any oil in the reservoir (10w30 motor oil)

Are you sure its 10w30? My Volvo uses power steering fluid. What make and size is your motor ?

Rubysmith

Seaman Apprentice
Good news! Reinstalled the motor, added new oil and followed your instructions and it works! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
Good to hear, look for leaks, there is at least one, and try to get all the water out

Rubysmith

Seaman Apprentice
I looked for a leak in the cylinders but didn't see anything. Where else should I look?

alldodge

Staff member
I looked for a leak in the cylinders but didn't see anything. Where else should I look?

Look inside the boat. The issue since there was water in the trim tank, something was leaking and the largest possibility is the cylinder seals. They are easy enough to replace just take some time. Bring the drive full up and let it sit over night. Take a marker and clean off the cylinder rod and mark with a marker. See if it drops any during the night

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Mine was leaking simply because the lines had loosened where the feed the rams. Make sure those connections are good and tight.

Rubysmith

Seaman Apprentice
Hmmmm 🤔 now that you brought that up, I noticed the ram caps looked a little loose (didnt know what they were before I googled rams, I'm a new boat owner) Should there be a little space in between or no space at all?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hmmmm 🤔 now that you brought that up, I noticed the ram caps looked a little loose (didnt know what they were before I googled rams, I'm a new boat owner) Should there be a little space in between or no space at all?

What drive do you have a what year?

Rubysmith

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure of exact specs but it is an alpha one Mercruiser. This is the part I am referring to.

Attachments

• photo294576.png
    photo294576.png
    403.8 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, being a 1994 it should be a Alpha 1 Gen 2. Here is a link to the entire drive
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/alpha-one-gen-ii-1991-1995-0d469859

The trim cylinder rod end cap is on the end and then a anode can be attach to it. If the anode is loose, this is not much of an issue other then it should be replaced if the boat is kept in the water

Now if the rod end cap is loose, this is an issue which needs fixed.
If it is leak from the end cap, just need a spanner to unscrew the cap and replace some O-rings. Pretty easy, and hardest part is removing the end cap

seal kit.jpg

Rubysmith

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the link, looks like it will be very useful.

Okay so definitely isn't the rod end caps. The part I am referring to looks like it would be part 14, maybe??

Attachments

• photo294581.png
    photo294581.png
    405.5 KB · Views: 0