Vesselview Link and Lowrance HDS Gen 3 install

sstacey

Cadet
Greetings all,
I've a 2007 Optimax 150 and a Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3. I recently purchased a Mercury Vesselview LINK ...Not the VVL Mobile.... and am trying to connect it to my Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3. The VVL kit came with a smartcraft cable but it was 3 feet. So I went to Ebay and bought an extension cable. I found the smartcraft connection in the engine that had the yellow termination cap. I put the cable on the engine, took the yellow termination cap and put it on the cable that came with the kit and connected it to the VVL box. Then connected the VVL to the NMEA 2000 network, which is then connected to the Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3. While connected to the internet, the Lowrance upgraded, Mercury features enabled and I can now see the Mercury toolbar to the left and engine speed is showing..... BUT that is all. There is so much marketing but no content on how to install this. I was under the impression it was plug and play. After reading what posts I could find, I've bought other cables with no luck and I think I'm now more confused than when I started. Anyone know if I missed something or can provide some input?

sstacey

Cadet
Some good info about features if I can get it working. No install or wiring info on the Lowrance site but thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
what version of HDS software are you running? Seems you need atleast 4.0.

Looks like a fuel module option as well

sstacey

Cadet
I've upgraded to the latest version and its everything that isn't working. Suppose to have troll control, trim, etc. Only thing showing is the actual speed at the time. I should add that I DO also run a trolling motor from the Lowrance. A Motorguide Xi5 with GPS and that is running and being controlled by the Lowrance perfectly. I am wondering if I have the right smartcraft cable for the Optimax or if there are some pins missing??

sstacey

Cadet
Thanks dingbat. Yes, that is the document I received with the kit and it seemed simple to me too. I'm going to take some pics tonight of the engine connection and pins in my cables. I've decided that once this is connected successfully to do a detailed installation document and trouble shooting post because I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks dingbat. Yes, that is the document I received with the kit and it seemed simple to me too. I'm going to take some pics tonight of the engine connection and pins in my cables. I've decided that once this is connected successfully to do a detailed installation document and trouble shooting post because I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue.
Doubt it has anything to do with the wiring. Motor (smartcraft) all ready talking to LLV converter in 0 and 1s....you wouldn't get any data if it was a wiring issue.

Sorry, I can't help trouble shoot the communications in a Lowrance Unit.

In the Garmin world you can control (turn off/on ) comms sentences (make sure they're turned on) and log data coming across NMEA 2000 connection to see what's going on

Maybe you have something similar on your unit

sstacey

Cadet
I do. I'll look through the Lowrance manual to see if there is something more on that. I appreciate you taking the time.

sstacey

Cadet
I've found nothing in the manual about this install. They actually refer you to VVL install documentation but there is really nothing to that page as it just says the cable provided connects to the engine.

Attachments

• photo294390.jpg
    photo294390.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 2

sstacey

Cadet
Looked into this and what I believe you mean is the yellow termination cap. If so, YES. It says to take the one off the engine and connect the Y harness provided with the kit. On the Y harness, affix the same termination cap. then plug the other end into the VVL box, which i did, then connect the network cable from the box to the lowrance. Still only getting MPH and nothing else.