Trolling motor deep cycle batteries parallel question

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I run an inflatable powered by a trolling motor. I purchased a Walmart EverStart Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC last summer and it has approximately 15 trips/cycles on it. It charges full to 13 volts. I just bought anther one only it's the MAX model. It's supposed to have 30% more cycling capacity and weighs about 4 lbs more than the standard model. I've read the less batteries drain down, the longer they last. Can I connect these two batteries together in parallel given the battery I've had for a while is still relatively new? Or, would it be better to run them separately?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
It’s done in big boats all the time except they use a perko switch and I don’t think you’ll want to run 24v to the trolling motor but it’ll make it run faster and will lower the life expectancies of said motor

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Running batteries in parallel does not double voltage. Just the capacity. Running them in series doubles the voltage, or increases it anyways.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It’s done in big boats all the time except they use a perko switch and I don’t think you’ll want to run 24v to the trolling motor but it’ll make it run faster and will lower the life expectancies of said motor

Connecting two or three or four or more batteries in parallel yields 12 volts, not 24.

Stark - Since your batteries are mismatched, I would use a battery switch to run, then the other. That's just me because the older one will discharge faster because of lesser capacity.

A little bit of info - https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Connecting two or three or four or more batteries in parallel yields 12 volts, not 24

right but in series it will

You are the only one talking series.

Even Stark in his opening posts said he was doing a parallel setup, so he knew what he was doing;

Can I connect these two batteries together in parallel given the battery I've had for a while is still relatively new?

I just saw that my link was censored for some reason - it was https://www.battery stuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html Take out the space between battery and stuff.