1998 Stratos 283 Wiring Nightmare - Total noob

M1ghty

Recruit
So i bought my first boat a few days ago, a 98 stratos 283. I knew it needed some tlc but the wiring behind the dash just has me so confused. Nothing powered work (bilge, lights, stereo, aerator etc), but the main power switch is showing 12v when i test it with a voltmeter. Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
20180315_181524_zpsxfssquor.JPG

Attachments

• 20180315_181535_zpsub5uof4v.JPG
    20180315_181535_zpsub5uof4v.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Wiring for the key depends on which OB is installed.

Boat wiring is pretty much developed by each manufacture. Here is an example

Gen Wiring Diagram.jpg

cassadypaul

Cadet
Go online and try to find a factory wiring diagram. It should have wire colors labeled on the diagram. Take your time and don't get overwhelmed. Break the system into individual components. Try to get the bilge pump working first. That will give you the satisfaction that you are accomplishing something. Try starting at the positive post of the battery and work your way around through the bilge pump circuit and back to the negative side of the battery. After that is working move on to the next inoperative system.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
As corroded as all the connections are, troubleshooting should start with disconnecting each spade connector, cleaning the contact shiny clean and bright. Then see if anything works.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You will NOT find a wiring diagram for the boat. They don't exist.
You might find them for much larger boats, but not that one.

From what I see, you need to rip it all out, and replace it with $100 worth of tinned marine grade wire and new switches and connectors. Ok, maybe not, but it surely is not up to my standard for reliability. If they look that bad in the dash, I can only imagine what they look like in the bilge and live wells.

cassadypaul

Cadet
You will NOT find a wiring diagram for the boat. They don't exist.
You might find them for much larger boats, but not that one.

From what I see, you need to rip it all out, and replace it with $100 worth of tinned marine grade wire and new switches and connectors. Ok, maybe not, but it surely is not up to my standard for reliability. If they look that bad in the dash, I can only imagine what they look like in the bilge and live wells.

Starting fresh is a good idea. If he has the original engine manual there should be s diagram for the engine side of the boat harness. The rest is pretty straight forward as far as wiring goes.