NMEA 2K fuel tracking on a removable tank

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Howdy!

I'm getting close to the close of my boat restoration (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...ration-project ) and I'm trying to get my engine components in order.

I have a 2017 Suzuki DF90, which came with a Suzuki C10 display. It's on the NMEA 2k network and I'm looking to get some sort of fuel measurement integrated. Previously I kept two of the little cheap 6 gallon tanks on board, I'm hoping to get a larger above deck tank but may just end up with the portable 6 gallon tanks again.

Is there a way to get a fuel sender into the cheap-o 6 gallon tanks ( or maybe a long 14 gallon above deck tank if I get one that fits ) and integrate that tank with the two wire fuel sender into the NMEA network for my C10 computer to use?

Thanks in advance!

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just get a fishfinder that you can network and it will use the fuel burn from the engine computer to calculate remaining fuel. You just have to make sure you reset it after every fill up....

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting! The Suzuki C10 display I have does display the sensor for fuel flow from the motor, I'm going to assume it's capable of doing that as well. it does make sense, that if I set the fuel tank size and it can calculate fuel flow that it can estimate remaining fuel. Thanks much!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ithat if I set the fuel tank size and it can calculate fuel flow that it can estimate remaining fuel. Thanks much!
And herein lies the problem...you have to enter the amount of fuel each and every time you get fuel. Forget once and you start over again with the full tank.

Fortunately, I installed the Garmin GFS10 fuel flow and level sensor monitoring that connects via NMEA 2000 the my chart plotter.

Direct read from my existing fuel level sensor. No need to enter fuel amount every time

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you are using the portable tanks, get the caps with the fuel gauge in them. Done!

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fortunately, I installed the Garmin GFS10 fuel flow and level sensor monitoring that connects via NMEA 2000 the my chart plotter.

Direct read from my existing fuel level sensor. No need to enter fuel amount every time

Interesting, I wonder if it being NMEA 2000, it could work with my computer, isn't the data standardized on NMEA 2k or is that wishful thinking?

If you are using the portable tanks, get the caps with the fuel gauge in them. Done!

Yeaaaaah, I'm the kind of guy who likes that data in the computer. Just a little more fun that way!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting, I wonder if it being NMEA 2000, it could work with my computer, isn't the data standardized on NMEA 2k or is that wishful !
message structures are standardized.

The question, does your unit support the message?