Need the Proper Charger Amps Rate for a Heavy Duty Dual Purpose Marine Battery

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I am trying to find out the best way to charge and maintain my batteries. I bought them last year. I called the company that makes them and asked them what charging rate they recommended. The lady (I think shes is the receptionist) said that a 2 amps or 4 amps charger would be ideal. But I dont really think a 2 amps charger is enough for this heavy duty battery.

The battery is a Power Master (I think its a flood battery)
Its also maintenance free.

The battery model s: 27M -1000DP
1000 MCA's
210 Min

By the way, the charger installed in my boat is a Guest Charge Pro-10 amps (5/5). Please let me know if this charge is Ok for this heavy duty battery. Or..should I buy a 20 (10/10) with the smart charge?

Thanks!
Lui

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1494.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1494.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_1496.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1496.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Your bats are lead acid.
A 2 amp and higher rate charger will charge the bats, the amount of amps is proportional to the amount of time it will take. The bats can be charged at 40 amp bulk charging and then the charger will step down as the bat comes closer to full. So if your down to 80 %, a 2 amp charger may need a couple days, where a 10 amp may take a day, and so on.

How much time do you have to recharge the bats, and what will they be used for?

Also guessing this is an outboard.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your bats are lead acid.
A 2 amp and higher rate charger will charge the bats, the amount of amps is proportional to the amount of time it will take. The bats can be charged at 40 amp bulk charging and then the charger will step down as the bat comes closer to full. So if your down to 80 %, a 2 amp charger may need a couple days, where a 10 amp may take a day, and so on.

How much time do you have to recharge the bats, and what will they be used for?

Also guessing this is an outboard.

AllDodge,

Yes, outboard engines. I tried to charge them at 2 amps for aprox 14 hours, but they didn't get too much charge.

My concern is that my boat (1999 Glacier Bay Island Runner) only uses the port side battery for ALL electronics (including bilge pumps). The batteries are dual purpose. But again, I do need one of them to recharge withing 10-12 hours so I can use the boat on consecutive days without worrying about the port battery not getting 100% charge overnight.
Thanks!
Lui

fishrdan

Admiral
5/5 charger will work fine for 2 batteries, but it won't charge your batteries in 10/12 hours, IF heavily depleted.

100AH battery, depleted, would take 20 hours to charge with 5 amps. With 10 amps it could charge in 10 hours.

Some chargers will combine their output, when one battery completes it charge, 5+5 turns into 1 at 10 amps. If your charger has this feature, it may work to charge your start and (trolling motor?) batteries in 10-12 hours

alldodge

Staff member
I would suggest a 20 amp 2-bank.

Could also get a 30 amp single charger for the house bat and a 5 amp maintainer for the start bat. Your motor will keep the start bat charged up for the most part so you need something to charge the house bat.

Do make sure with any charge to get one which is a 3-stage type (bulk, float, maintain)

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would suggest a 20 amp 2-bank.

Could also get a 30 amp single charger for the house bat and a 5 amp maintainer for the start bat. Your motor will keep the start bat charged up for the most part so you need something to charge the house bat.

Do make sure with any charge to get one which is a 3-stage type (bulk, float, maintain)
AllDodge,
Done! I ordered the ProMarine ProSport 20 Gen 3.
THANKS!
lui

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
5/5 charger will work fine for 2 batteries, but it won't charge your batteries in 10/12 hours, IF heavily depleted.

100AH battery, depleted, would take 20 hours to charge with 5 amps. With 10 amps it could charge in 10 hours.

Some chargers will combine their output, when one battery completes it charge, 5+5 turns into 1 at 10 amps. If your charger has this feature, it may work to charge your start and (trolling motor?) batteries in 10-12 hours

Got it, Fishrdan..THANKS!!