1992 Johnson Trim Sender

joeltjen10

Seaman
Hey all,

I have been rewiring most of my dash to clean it up and get a better understanding of how it works.

I'm trying to get the trim gauge to work and believe the sender is bad. I checked the wires at the dash and don't get an ohm reading on sending wire but do get reading on the ground. I've traced the wires from the sender into the engine and don't get a reading from that either.

Is there anything else I can or should check before I spend the money on a new sender?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
If you're physically able to get at the trim sender/sensor, step one for me would be to unplug the signal+ sending wire (there's two usually, signal+ and ground) and make a resistance measurement on signal+ wire to ground (motor block/frame). If the ground wire is attached, looks intact etc, to the motor block/frame and is assumed good, you should be able to measure something, perhaps 50-1Kohms(guessing, sensor dependent and engine position dependent) .........

If so? Step two is to dive under the dash and short the signal + wire to ground. Go back now to the same physical point in step one above where you just measured the sensor BUT, now, and still measuring the siganl+ wire, measure up stream to the dash's short you installed, should be zero'ish ohms eh? (Has to be right? You just shorted the signal + to ground)......That is if the path is good to the dash, divide and conquer sir.........

Last edited: