1991 20' Bayliner - New Stereo System Questions

malibu3105

Seaman
I am looking to replace my current (non functioning) stereo in my boat.
I found and purchased from Amazon an XM Receiver and Antenna (SXV300v1 & SRA-50B).
I am looking at a Kenwood KMR-D772BT Stereo receiver.
Any feedback on these items?
The XM items are required for any XM Ready stereo, so I need those no matter what as I want XM on the boat :).
I will also need speakers.
So any suggestions on a set of 4 speakers is welcome, as I have not chosen those yet....

The Stereo is 50 watts per channel, and I think that is plenty to drive the speakers without an external amp.
Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

The speakers are replacing the originals, inside the boat.

Open to any suggestions / opinions before I purchase this receiver.
Thanks.
Frank

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get marine speakers. since the weather is brutal on them, I usually buy Pyle speakers..... they last about 5 years. MB Quarts are way over-priced. shop around.

as far as your Kenwood marine reciever..... they make a good product.

50 watts per channel is plenty when in-side the boat. however if you want to blast so the next county hears you from tower mounted speakers, you would need an amp..... I personally like to sit and enjoy conversation with music so 50 watts is more than enough.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Those 50 watt max and auctally ~15 watts rms and they're okay if you're sitting in the boar with engine off and relaxing. You won't hear them good when riding or doing any water sports.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its not 50 watts total, its 50 per channel.

malibu3105

Seaman
I think for speakers I have decided on Polk Audio db651. Amazon reports them as Peak 180 watts, and RMS 60 watts each speaker.

Looking at your comments, this is IMPORTANT. Does this sound like a good choice?...
I am still researching Stereo's. Most seem to be between 40 watts per channel, and 50 watts per channel.
Kenwood KMR-D77BT ($199.00 Crutchfield) is 50watts per channel x 4 channels. It doesn't list peak or RMS.
Aquatic AQ-MP-5UBT-S ($369.00 Amazon) is 45 watts x 4 Peak / 22 watts x 4 RMS

Sony DSXM55BT ($99.00 Amazon) is 55 watts x 4 Max / 17 watts x 4 continuous
If I get the Sony receiver then I may get the matching Sony speakers ($119.95 on amazon for 4)
XSMP1611 65 Watts RMS

Any suggestions? Since Sony packages the stereo with speakers, I am guessing these are matched.
Would the Polk speakers be ok with the Kenwood or Aquatic? And any suggestions on which Stereo?

It's a small ski boat, and I want to hear music, but don't need to entertain the entire lake. So don't need extreme volume :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You can't put a new stereo in a '91 Bayliner without first replacing or reinforcing the transom, and replacing the stringers.

Sorry, but thats the usual answer given to any question concerning an early 90's Bayliner. :)

Happy boating.