Second battery setup for stereo

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, just a little curious about this... my boat has a stereo system already but i only have 1 battery. I want to be able to have a second source of power for it instead of using my main battery... i know i can get a second battery and hook it up to that one but once that one drains down how would i get it back to full strength? Just keep recharging it? And how long would a fully charged battery last as wel... What do most people do lol looking for some feedback with this

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You can install a battery switch, put it on battery one for starting, and running. Switch to battery 2 when running the stereo. You can also put the switch on both battery's so it'll charge both when running. Another good way is to put an acr on the setup, Automatic charging relay, it'll charge both batterys whenever running automatically. An onboard charger is also a good thing to charge the battery's when you are not using the boat.

alldodge

Staff member
While you may not need a second bat for the standard radio, but its always good to have a second bat and switch when unable to start the motor. The ACR is the best method to charge the second bat