Battery and fuel placement

Dipphoto

Cadet
I got a 1971 seaswirl fixer upper. Being a 1st Time boat owner I’m trying to fit 2 battery banks and 2 fuel cells as it has 1 battery and 1 6 gallon tank. I put the batteries under the seats but I’m told I need them closer to the engine as possible. Should I put the fuel tank under the seats and the batteries in back. There is no under the deck storage.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Well the starting battery needs to be as close to the motor as you can get it with the shortest run of cable, other than that it's all up to you.

Dipphoto

Cadet
I have one of the blue sea add a battery. Would it be better to put the fuel cells under the sears and put all the batteries in the back so I keep the charge system close? Or I could maybe do he start and a fuel sale and put the othe cell and batteries under the seat. I wish this boat had a below deck storage vs. all on deck.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or you can up-size the cables for the length

Dipphoto

Cadet
60hp etec maybe I’ll just stick with it being we’re its at and replace these wires as they are old. But that’s the current cause wire

Dipphoto

Cadet
Correction 4 gauge. I thought it was 6 but I was wrong it’s 4 Guagr all this time.