Installing shore power and inverter charger

I have a 1994 Four Winns 215 sundowner looking to add shore power and inverter. Has anyone ever installed, so I can get an idea where to get the parts and how difficult it is.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... That's a pretty small boat for shore power,.....

Just what are ya gonna run on shore power,..??
Ya gotta know the expected loads, to design the system,.....

Looking to add a inverter charger along with a second battery. Would like to add tv and subwoofer setup, need to be able to charge when at slip.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Have you done any AC wiring? Do you understand the issues with dock-side power and that done incorrectly can kill you or anyone else? This is not a job for a novice. Not saying you can't do it, but just cautioning you about doing the job incorrectly. Lots of reading material on line. Google "marine shore power systems" or similar search terms.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
How about right here on IBoats. Scroll to the top of the page and click on SHOP. They provide these very nice forums so why not support them.

Bondo

Staff member
Looking to add a inverter charger along with a second battery. Would like to add tv and subwoofer setup, need to be able to charge when at slip.

yes I am good with electrical, just looking for suppliers for marine breaker panels and other supplies I need.

Ayuh,... Ya really don't need shore power plumbed though-out the boat for that,...

The 2nd battery, the stereo, 'n Tv can/ do run off ships power,... 12v,...
When at the dock, to charge the batteries,...
Yer usin' an extension cord to get the dock power to the boat,...
Just plug the charger directly into the extension cord,....

For on-board 120v power from the inverter, just plug into the inverter,....

My houseboat, a 1969 Nauti-line, uses plain ole house circuit breakers, 'n box,....
Ditto the house outlets, 'n lightin',....
The Only difference is, the use of stranded copper wire, rasther than solid conductor,....
Stranded copper is much less vulnerable to vibration fractures, 'n breaks,...