Aeroater Pump failure

bstig60

Seaman
I have a Key West 1720 Sportsman CC. It has an Atwood A500 4240 aeroater pump which does not run. Has power to it when switch is turned on. Can the pump motor be removed without removing the thru hull? I am thinking it may have something stuck in it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It's gettin' power, but does it have a good solid Ground,..??

Most of those things snap apart, Somehow,....
Some have plastic latches ya squeeze, some ya turn, one way or the other,...
Donno 'bout yers,....

I usually bust 'em tryin' to get 'em apart, or can never find an exact replacement, so end up changin' the whole thing anyways,....
Which probably ain't a bad idea, considerin' how plastic tends to rot, 'n get brittle,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would at least pull the boat out of the water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No need to mess with the thru hull or take the boat out of the water. Just close the seacock and go for it

bstig60

Seaman
Thanks for the responses. Boat is on the trailer, I will try and get it apart tomorrow. Looks like there are some clips and the motor head will come off. I will post what I find.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Maybe you could snap a pic for us before trying to take it apart. Some twist, some have locking tabs, some don't come apart and some fall apart when you look at it.

From what I found, the Atwood A500 4240 head doesn't come off.

NOTICE: These pumps have been discontinued by Attwood, we have a limited quantity available. They have been replaced by the Tsunami series pump with a replaceable cartridge.

bstig60

Seaman
Here is a pic of the unit I have installed.

Attachments

• photo285122.jpg
    photo285122.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you've got power to that brown wire and it's not running or blowing the fuse, it is either not grounded or the winding is burnt open.

I'd unhook those wires and check OHMS through that motor. If it is open I would change the pump. If it has some level of resistance but not a dead short, I'd put a 12 volt source on it and see if it runs.

The battery is fully charged I'm assuming.

Bondo

Staff member
Here is a pic of the unit I have installed.

Ayuh,.... Ya see those 2 squarish holes, midway back, there's 2 more on the other side,....

Either 2 of 'em, or possibly all 4 of 'em,... are the latches, if it's supposed to come apart,....

Slippin' a screwdriver into those square holes,.... Might release the latches,....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Be prepared to buy another pump. It seems the after aging year, the plastic gets brittle and the tabs or some other part breaks.

Have you found a fuse or circuit breaker for the pump? Might be the easiest way forward.

fishrdan

Admiral
I am thinking it may have something stuck in it.

That's what I thought when my aerator pump went out, the pump was fairly new, 3-4 years. Turned out the motor was rusted and seized due to water intrusion. I dissected the pump and the motor shaft seal design is pretty bad, reason for the water intrusion. If you need to replace the pump, avoid Attwood Tsunami pumps, buy something better.

I replaced the Tsumani cartridge, since it was much easier than replacing the entire pump, but ripped it apart and greased the seal(s?) better, hoping it would last longer than 3-4 years.

bstig60

Seaman
The A500 head does come off, but there is a locking screw where it can't be seen when installed, or at least that is the case on my boat, Remove the screw and turn 1/4 turn approx., and the head will come off... In my case the motor was open and I replaced it with a Tsunami complete unit.... At least now, I can replace the head if it goes bad. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!