Blank screen

ROOKEV

Cadet
Just an update, I took the finder out and took it over to Navico where they tested it. The outcome is somehow I fried the finder and it's not worth fixing. They are going to get back to me with a discounted price on a upgrade. The new HOOK 2 look good and are not over the top with there prices. Still don't know why it cooked it self, you would think a 3 amp fuse was low enough to stop a surge that would fry it. Looking forward anyway to a new toy and hopefully better fishing experience. Thanks again to all for there input.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't know how your budget is, but the factory sometimes has refurb units that will work with your existing cables. These units are getting like cell phones, they would have you swap them out every year or so, to keep up with the latest and greatest features. I don't know about all of you guys, but I don't have $1000 or more, to throw at a fish finder every other Spring.

If you do get a unit that works with your existing cables, be sure to get that all checked out too, something zapped the other unit and you don't want to do that again.

ROOKEV

Cadet
I went straight to Navico and knocked on their door with my old ff and now I'm the proud owner of A Hook2 7 triple shot that I should have installed tomorrow. Thanks again to all.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
These units are getting like cell phones, they would have you swap them out every year or so, to keep up with the latest and greatest features. I don't know about all of you guys, but I don't have $1000 or more, to throw at a fish finder every other Spring..
What latest and greatest features?

Let’s be real. There have been very few real innovations in sonar technology in the past 25 years.

The twenty year old Furuno I replaced last year is technically superior to probably 90% of the units on the market today. Even more shocking, the unit is still supported...

The ability to post pictures of your sounder on Facebook isn’t a “feature”...it’s a marketing ploy, aka gimmick to get gullable people to buy a cheap $150 unit every 2 years instead of buying a decent $500 unit very 10 years.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree about the gimmickry there as a marketing tool dingbat.

I fish in a fresh water reservoir, and catching bait is a big part of my fishing experience. I bought a Humminbird 979 C SI a few seasons ago for the side imaging, which I consider a recent innovation, and a very useful tool for finding schools of shad. It was considerably more than $150 or even $500, and it will hopefully last for quite a few seasons. If you listen to Humminbird it is obsolete and needs to be upgraded to the newer series. I will use it until it won't work anymore.

Before that I have been using the same basic Lowrance finders from all the way back to an X-85 up to an Elite 7. I use both the Humminbird and the Lowrance on my fishing boat now.