Faria GPS Speedometer wiring Question

krizm200

Seaman
I have a question on installing the GPS Speedometer from Faria, the Euro 60 mph. There are 3 connections, one to the ignition switch (battery), one to the battery itself, and one to the ground. I know ground needs to be connected, but if I have one to the power for the ignition switch, do I really need another one to the battery (listed as "always on")?

Thanks everyone!

Mark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what does Faria say

my guess is yes, the GPS module would want to be powered up most of the time to have a lock on the satelites

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, just like the radio in your car/truck, it has a feed which comes direct from the bat, and another which is turn ON (key switch)

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
Different model, but I installed the Faria Chesepeake gps speedo 0-80 gauge last year.

I happened onto a 2015 article on another site that may answer your questions. Basically, it says that when you wire it (in my case a yellow wire from pin 2) to a constant 12v, it keeps the gps spooled up, and if you turn anything on, trim, wipers, nav lights etc., the gauge will cycle, even with the key off. The OP talked to Faria, but they really didn't have a fix for it. However, they finally decided to wire both of the 12v wires together and attach them to the switched ignition source. I wired mine this way and it works perfectly. It is dead until the key is turned and then it cycles and locates the satellites rather quickly and is ready to go within a minute, often less. This works very well for me this way.

Looks like someone (don't know if it was Faria or the guy who posted) may have found a fix by putting in a relay to stop the needle swing (see below). I don't know if it works, but the info is there. Also, I would post the link for the article, but don't know if it allowed or not.

View attachment GPS Wiring Modification (1).pdf

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Different model, but I installed the Faria Chesepeake gps speedo 0-80 gauge last year.

I happened onto a 2015 article on another site that may answer your questions. Basically, it says that when you wire it (in my case a yellow wire from pin 2) to a constant 12v, it keeps the gps spooled up, and if you turn anything on, trim, wipers, nav lights etc., the gauge will cycle, even with the key off. The OP talked to Faria, but they really didn't have a fix for it. However, they finally decided to wire both of the 12v wires together and attach them to the switched ignition source. I wired mine this way and it works perfectly. It is dead until the key is turned and then it cycles and locates the satellites rather quickly and is ready to go within a minute, often less. This works very well for me this way.

Looks like someone (don't know if it was Faria or the guy who posted) may have found a fix by putting in a relay to stop the needle swing (see below). I don't know if it works, but the info is there. Also, I would post the link for the article, but don't know if it allowed or not.

MOD Advice - Of course you can post the link. Faria isn't a competitor, we sell Faria instruments and anything to help is welcome. Personally I would rather see the information on a website than a PDF.

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
MOD Advice - Of course you can post the link. Faria isn't a competitor, we sell Faria instruments and anything to help is welcome. Personally I would rather see the information on a website than a PDF.

It's actually off the another forum. The Hull Truth. Here is is, so if not, you can delete it. I thought it was an interesting article that might help someone else, so I saved it, in case anyone ever needed the info.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine...55-faria-gps-speedometer-strange-problem.html

krizm200

Seaman
Thanks Blue Mist! Exactly what I was looking for. I knew I saw an issue with the positive lead wiring somewhere, but could not find it. I am also interested in finding out if there is a current draw from the speedometer when it is turned off. I wrote Faria, but never received a reply, only that they received my question. I may connect both positive leads to the switched ignition source first. I don't need the speedometer to function immediately on start up (I have a Merc 1970 Thunderbolt 800, needs some warm up time anyway). I would prefer to bypass the gauge cycle issue, though I may not have it with my system anyway; no LED lights on the 1974 Mako 15. Guess I will find out next week when Santa brings the speedometer!

Mark

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
The way I read it, the issue presented itself when you turned on anything in the boat. I am no expert, but I would guess that there would be a current draw all the time if you wire it to a constant 12v. I don't know how much draw it would be. No surprise that Faria did not answer you. You might be better off calling in and talking to tech support with your questions. Not that you will get any definitive answers. Let us know if you do.

If you wire the purple and yellow wires together and connect it to the switched side of the switch, it will not draw anything until you turn the key. When I start mine, the speedo is always ready to go, before I am.

By the way, you said there were 3 wires. Is there not a 4th blue wire for inst. lights or does the 3 wire include the inst. light wire? Just being curious.

Good Luck.
Pat

krizm200

Seaman
You are right, there is a 4th wire for the back light, same as is on my Faria Euro tach. The lake I go to only allows day access, so I have no need for lights at this point. In fact, when I bought the Mako last Spring, no lights worked at all. I have rebuilt the entire electric system so all electrical components work again. I'm finishing up the instrument panel with the speedometer. Some day I may take the boat out at night, probably not for a long time though. If I do hear from Faria, I'll include the reply to the post.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

krizm200

Seaman
Quick follow up. I connected the 2 positive leads to the ignition switch. At starting the engine, the gps syncs in about a minute. The speedometer works fine this way, and there is no drain on the battery (no matter how small) when the engine is turned off. Exactly what I was hoping for. Hope others find this useful.

Thanks.

Mark