RUNNING TILLER MOTOR AS TROLLING MOTOR ON 24 FOOT BOAT

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
24 foot thompson boat mercruiser 5.0 lx /alpha1 gen 1 outdrive ,does anybody run a tiller motor as their trolling motor,i see a million tiller outboards for sale ,but zero with control box ,for trolling can i hookup a tiller motor,and steer boat from rear of boat (when trolling )saw a video on youtube called downrigger 101 and saw the guy had a tiller trolling motor and steered from back of boat while fishing (trolling)

Attachments

• photo280854.jpg
    photo280854.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280855.jpg
    photo280855.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
millions of people use a tiller as a kicker. some make a bracket to run a steering link from the I/O to the tiller, many simply steer from the back.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
No Title

Here is an example of how I set up mine Its a Thompson 196 Sea Rage . Nice boat, it has the same bait boxes as my 23 ' Fiberform .

Attachments

• photo280866.jpg
    photo280866.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
your swim platform will limit tying together. there is an EZ Steer product for remote electrically driven steering and I have an extension handle i bought here on iboats and if i am using as a kicker, not a troller at 2 mph or less the main sterndive works unless very windy

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and get an electric start. Wish i had, a conversion on mine will be about $800 this winter, parts only. Long shaft too. Your boat I think is similar to mine.

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
nice ,thanx all ,will be changing or eliminating swim platform to accommodate outboard ,definitely a long shaft, what is the advantage of electric start?other than easier to start

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
leaning over the back of the boat, falling in, cussing because your shoulder is 50+ years old and bitching at you because you are leaning over the back of a boat pulling 10-20 times.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unless you plan on a dedicated fishing rig, I would simply put a low pitch prop on the motor, idle down and go fishing vs pulling the swim platform...... however that is me.

on a swim platform similar to what you have, we made up a clamp-on bracket that we could mount a kicker when fishing Lake Erie. it was a backer-board, 4 bolts thru the swim platform slats and a L-bracket of aluminum. hung a 3-hp on there......

and yes, Dad did fall in trying to start it....

the following year we had a 3hp minn kota clamped to it with 4 batteries on board.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
unless you plan on a dedicated fishing rig, I would simply put a low pitch prop on the motor, idle down and go fishing vs pulling the swim platform...... however that is me.

on a swim platform similar to what you have, we made up a clamp-on bracket that we could mount a kicker when fishing Lake Erie. it was a backer-board, 4 bolts thru the swim platform slats and a L-bracket of aluminum. hung a 3-hp on there......

and yes, Dad did fall in trying to start it....

the following year we had a 3hp minn kota clamped to it with 4 batteries on board.

Yep 4.5hp Johnson has been real handy and easily removed but never did .