need to undo some "customized" 16' tracker wiring

misterpancho

Cadet
Hey everyone, I recently bought a 16' 1993 sweet 16 tracker. The original 25 hp has been replaced with a 2002 mercury 40 hp. The last owner really went to town adding extra lights and wire runs whose purpose I really can't decipher. I can tell which wires he added and which wires are stock by the quality of the wiring, but as some of the stock wires have been cut I'm not really sure how they were originally wired.

I'm planning on ripping out as much as possible and starting over and I'd like to return it as close to the stock wiring plan as possible. If anyone is familiar with these kinds of boats I have a few general questions:

Currently the boat has a cranking battery and a deep cycle up front. I haven't found any kind of switch and there's a bit of a rats nest of wires in the back. In general on a boat this size with a motor this size this is my best guess for how they get wired up:

1. keep the deep cycle up front purely for the trolling motor. This battery is not connected to the motor's charging circuit and is purely charged from shore power.
2. all the other accessories (running lights, bilge pump, live well) are wired up to the cranking motor via the a fuse box

Does this make sense?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Yes, makes sense.

I suggest a short cable leading to a battery disconnect switch, then run power to your motor, and the fuse panel from the disconnect.

Often times the bilge pump will be wired directly to the battery or battery disconnect switch (with inline fuse).