Electronics winter storage

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
I have a Garmin removable screen & a hand held rechargeable radio. Is it bad to store in an attached garage that could get below freezing (garage door could be left open or possible power failure or...?). Typically it?s cold but above freezing but no guarantees.

Any real world risk for damage to electronics?

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Probably not a real concern, but if you have a worry, but then put them in your sock drawer. The socks will cushion the screen and radio.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
pretty much every manufacturer of products with screens, says to protect from below freezing - or below zero - temps.

Why risk it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ever piece of consumer electronics is tested for -40C storage temps. however I dont like the idea of condensation and electronics when the temps start to warm.

as GA said, bring it in.....my sock drawer is over-full, would probably just put it on the shelf with other boat stuff in the closet

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
pretty much every manufacturer of products with screens, says to protect from below freezing - or below zero - temps.

Why risk it?
0 degrees F. is the number commonly cited. Garmin?s advertised numbers are 5-131 degrees F.

Condensation is not be a concern with an IPX 7 rated unit.

Y?all must have some large sock drawers....lol

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Mine stay in an attached garage year after year with no adverse impact....... I'm in the frozen tundra of N WI....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Right now it's 19 outside and 34 in the garage....

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Perfect real world info.

I?m gonna go for it. I?m an organization freak and like to keep all my boat stuff together in one area and far too much for my sock drawer.