Battery questions

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm pretty sure it is time to replace at least 1 of my 2 batteries. Battery #1 is an everstart maxx 29dc. Although my charger says it is full, it won't crank my outboard. I did let it get low on water and most likely cooked it. I also let #2 get low but it is working after a refresh and recharge. It is a regular 625 ca starting battery but I don't remember the brand. Here is my main question.... if I plan on leaving my anchor LED anchor light on all night, running fish finder, stereo and marine radio on during the day, should I use a deep cycle battery for that? I'm not sure weather to buy a deep cycle or a second cranking battery. Also would like feedback on seahawk brand batteries. A guy at the marina has one fairly new and fairly cheap.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Chage the battery and take it to most any auto store for load testing which is usually free. Make sure the no crank situation is not an engine problem before blaming the battery. Yes - all the accessories need a deep cycle battery. Always charge immediately after use.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Suggest load testing your batteries, especially a battery to be used to start an engine.I use 2 Interstate cranking batteries, alternate their use, keep them well maintained - but I don't run much on either without the engine running, or connected to shore power and battery charging system. For your case, you may want one deep cell, and one cranking' Don't know about seahawk brand, but for a battery on a boat, especially a cranking battery, I don't look for cheap

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have ruled out the motor, It starts fine with bat #2. I have the suspected bad battery out of the boat so will bring it to auto parts store today to have it tested. When it was new that 825amp really cranked like a beast, now it barely gets a turn. I even moved the smaller battery to the #1 side of my battery selector to rule out a bad connection. Just poor maintenance on my part by letting it get low on water.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Most auto parts stores will not be able to test a deep cycle battery unless it happens to fails there test. Most will pass there testers tests even if the battery is bad. I have some high end battery testing equipment and in the end a hydrometer reading and a couple of load tests back to back are about the only moderately accurate test for these batteries. My $ 1400 battery testers will only show a fault on one if its suffering from major sulfation failure. Of which I could have told you it was a bad battery but how poorly it takes a charge. You buy a boat battery by weight and cost the more it weighs and costs the better chance of it holding up. I sell Interstate and See longer life and very low failure rates out of hundreds of batteries I?ve had two fail.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Stay away from Everstart/Everstart Maxx. I assume u bought them at Walmart. I've used both, never again, they don't last. I tend to buy Exide....

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, they were Wal-Mart batteries. I have never had a problem with their car batteries, but not as much luck with the marine battery. I am going to go with one marine starting battery, and one deep cycle. Is it ok to charge the deep cycle using the alternator, or should I just trickle charge it after each trip?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would trickle charge it......

I haven't had any luck with Everstart. Thought if I spent a little more for their Maxx I would be happy.... Nope....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's what I buy........... Keep them charged during the off season. Battery Tender works good.....

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the big ole Maxx 29dc tested bad. The Everstart 24ms tested good, but since it is at least 2 years old I went with another 24ms, but got Duracell this time. Will there be an issue if I use the new battery for starting and my old 24ms to run the electronics? And does anyone know what size the threads are on the everstart batteries? I boogered up the threads on one post and need to clean them up with a die.

Bluevette65

Recruit
I have the panel that silver mentioned a while back with a charge, 12v , 12/24 position switch on the panel feeding a 3 wire motor receptacle with orange, red and black wires and a 24 v trolling motor. does anyone have a schematic on how to wire the switch? i keep blowing one fuse and must have a ground reversed or something. it is fine in charge position but blows when i go to 12/24 which is my 24 v . this is without anything plugged into the female 3 prong receptacle
Thanks for any help, this is driving me nuts. worked fine for 24 years and all wiring is in perfect condition as well as new batteries

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Interstate cranking Battery that came with my boat still had 75% capacity after 14 seasons. I replaced it anyway

NightAngler

Cadet
As mentioned above, I'd first load test the battery, after taking a simple VDC reading after it's been apparently charged. The following is the table of VDC reading = XX % Charge chart:

VDC Battery Charged
Reading Percentage

12.6 100.00%
12.5 90.00%
12.42 80.00%
12.32 70.00%
12.2 60.00%
12.06 50.00%
11.9 40.00%
11.75 30.00% (RED)
11.58 20.00% (RED)
11.31 10.00% (RED)
10.5 0.00% (RED-Possible dead cell)

Good Luck.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have the panel that silver mentioned a while back with a charge, 12v , 12/24 position switch on the panel feeding a 3 wire motor receptacle with orange, red and black wires and a 24 v trolling motor. does anyone have a schematic on how to wire the switch? i keep blowing one fuse and must have a ground reversed or something. it is fine in charge position but blows when i go to 12/24 which is my 24 v . this is without anything plugged into the female 3 prong receptacle
Thanks for any help, this is driving me nuts. worked fine for 24 years and all wiring is in perfect condition as well as new batteries

Welcome to the forum Bluevette65. Please start your own thread for a better response to your issue...